Snail Infestations and Solutions to Eliminating them: Discussion thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
edit: oh hey, how about mentioning the inverted bottle top trap in the Baiting Section?
i tried this one in my cherry tank to get out tons of ponds, the next morning all i caught was my shrimp,...lol snail aint stupid, at least mine arn't:confused:

addicted2fish

" Can you come out to play ? "
Mar 19, 2008
yea so far my best to rid snails has been cucuber, I put in a pc at night, then when I get up , I grab the whole thing snails & all and toss it . it works good if you put it in a small comtainer too, that way you dont loose the snails that jump off, just use a plant weight and tie to veggie with string, I went and bought rid -a -snail ~~ WHAT A MESS!!!! it killed my loach, 4 fish , and ALL the snails cam e back double !!!!! so that does NOT work . the veggie slice woeks great just have to stay on top of it for a long time to rid alot . zuchini works great too, I cut it kinda thick so they will stay on it till I get back .....hehe ~~~~

Sounguru

Guru at being an expert
This entire thread and what it is disscussing is a crime. You people should be ashamed of yourselves. Snails are people too and deserve your respect and love not your hate you evil snail haters.....

Signed
PETA

PS. We declare that snails no longer be called snails. We declare they be renamed Water Bunnies and if you don't agree we will stomp our foot really hard and throw a tissy fit.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I say, let em stay in the tank as long as they aren't hurting anything.
They aren't hurting anything but some idiots find a way to blame the snails anyway.

mroth_3

shrimp boat captain
Dec 24, 2008
Iowa
They are hurting me. My cherry shrimp tank was taken over by them. Ever since I started removing them, I've been able to cut my water changes in half. Its amazing how much waste they produce. My back feels a lot better since i do half as many water changes now.

bettabrat

AC Members
Feb 2, 2009
CT
What about salt? I was manually removing them and putting them into a salt/water mix. Maybe it's not as nice and simply crushing them but it appeared to work for all those pesky pond snails that snagged a ride on some of my water sprites.

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
thanks lupin, this is a very common question and it looks to me like you covered all the bases. How do we go about getting this stickied? This question will surely be asked time and again.

edit: oh hey, how about mentioning the inverted bottle top trap in the Baiting Section?
i tired this and i caught one of my catfish. i think it still holds a grudge aginst me!!!

Kennedy327

fan-o-cichlid
Jan 12, 2009
Ohio
sure thing lupin.

Take a water bottle, remove the cap, and off with its head right where the bottle begins to taper.
View attachment 80577

Trim so that there is a snug fit when you turn the top upside down and shove it into the bottle.
View attachment 80578

Stick bait inside like a veggie or a delicious pellet, add some gravel or a plant weight to weigh down the trap, and place it in the tank on its side. Wait overnight and it should become Hotel Snailifornia - snails check in but they don't check out :eek3:
We do this with 2 liter bottles to catch minnows for fishing. works good for that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store