Snail Infestations and Solutions to Eliminating them: Discussion thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Stara'lfur

AC Members
May 19, 2008
Southern Cali
I just recently had a bunch of snails ride in on some pennywort. I dipped the pennywort in a bleach solution for two minutes too, it wasn't enough. I'm super bummed. I guess they're getting a veggy snack tonight.

Are loaches the only way to completely get rid of them? I don't want to have to be putting veggies in and scooping snails out for the rest of my life... haha.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Assassin snails work well but they ignore baby snails completely in my experience or at least the ones that are smaller than half their body size.

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
grrr, iv been trying to get rid of the snails in one of my tanks forever now. iv been siphoning them out and putting them in another tank but they keep coming. iv seen MTS, bladder snails, and some kind of ramshorns and its only a 20 long. i think im gunna try baiting, and if it gets too bad assassins

colinsk

On the fringe...
Dec 18, 2008
Ca
www.designerinlight.com
I now have spent nearly 6 weeks pruning snails with no signs of them abating. I have tried to get them as young as posible hoping to catch them all bofer breeding age and that has not been posible.

It is clear to contain them I will have to bait them and change my feeding habits or prune them everyday for life. I have snails and shrimp I do want so copper is not an option.

Orcalinkinpark

I speak betta
Jun 22, 2009
Salt is the best way to Kill snails they HATE SALT.. just dip the plant in a bucket of high content saltwater mix that should do it.

I was overrun with applesnails and this got them.

f|sH gUy

No Guts No Glory
Jun 25, 2009
Ventura, CA
Arghh snails! The good things about them is that if you have sand or even gravel and food gets stuck inside the snails eat it up and keep it clean and eat algae bad thing is I dont think you cant get rid of ALL of them at all unless restart the whole tank. Snail can reproduce by themselves so I just take some snails out everyday to try to keep the population low I am just worried about my planted tank.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
No one put any of the other non-copper poisons in the article??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store