So confused now, please help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jade.Crusader

AC Members
Jul 4, 2013
NE Oregon
Real Name
Green Shiva
Since we have been struggling to get a second, larger tank set up in a timely manner I have been trying to keep on top of my overstocked 20 gallon. This means frequent parameter checks and frequent water changes. Then my last glass test vial fell on the floor and shattered. That was like a month ago and I have just been guessing this whole time (finally got husband approval to get a new test kit ordered that I have been desperately needing for a long time). I have been doing every other day water changes of about 30% because when I WAS able to test, that is about what I would have to do to keep the ammonia levels down. I mentioned this to my parents and they exclaimed that I should not be having to change the water nearly at all, and that the chemicals I am dumping in there each time are horrible for the fish (we are on city water). They are on well water and they swear that the many years ago they set up their fish tanks (both 75 gallons I think???) that they have only had to do a water change a couple of times, and that was when they first set up. They attribute this to their "great well water" and suggested that I at least get water from them (via 5-gallon water jugs) each time, which would be a HUGE HASSLE (imagine packing 2 of those back and forth every other day). Is that worth the trouble?? Is the dechlorinator that bad? Their tanks had all sorts of African cichlids. One sprung a leak and they just combined their stock and it's pretty much solid fish in that tank and despite that, it seems to be working for them, so my attempts at arguing my point were met with solid brick walls. What they heck??? I was like, "When is the last time you tested your parameters?" and my mom said pretty much NEVER ago. She did say that she intends on testing soon and doing a water change when she gets around to it maybe, but she wasn't too concerned about it. Can someone explain this to me??? I am asking because we lost a platy tonight :( . Granted, it was a PetCo platy that was always acting quirky from the get go, and even the boy platties didn't try mating with her. We called her "crazy eyes" because while she didn't seem sick or injured, she was just really odd. Inbreeding maybe? Eyes were a bit buggy and she was always chasing after poop and eating it, and none of the fish wanted anything to do with her, whereas the others were in a mating frenzy.

Anyway, please advise. I need help, and am afraid of losing more.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Something sounds very strange. It should never be necessary to do water changes in a cycled tank to keep ammonia down. You either feed way too much, or your bioload is too much for your filtration to handle. Overstocking a tank is fine (as in cramming it full of fish) as long as you got enough filtration. To an extend, of course, as too crammed will stress the fish out.

Reactions: Jade.Crusader

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
that was the way it was done back then, some people still do it that way. I know that I use prime and would not consider ever not using it in my tanks as the cholrine/chloramine that comes from tap water would call all the benefitial bacteria.

just doing a few water changes is not responsible fish ownership, thats like you living in a tub of your own poop and pee for years and expecting not to get sick and die

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
Something sounds very strange. It should never be necessary to do water changes in a cycled tank to keep ammonia down. You either feed way too much, or your bioload is too much for your filtration to handle. Overstocking a tank is fine (as in cramming it full of fish) as long as you got enough filtration. To an extend, of course, as too crammed will stress the fish out.

from what I can remember she found out about cycling after the tank was already stocked, and has been trying to do the right thing since then

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
I would say until you are able to test it is good to keep changing water

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
from what I can remember she found out about cycling after the tank was already stocked, and has been trying to do the right thing since then
Ouch :(. Cycling a tank with fish in that is overstocked is going to be tough. If it was me, I'd at least do daily water changes in that case.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Keep up the water changes and feed sparingly; maybe every other day. When your new test kit comes in, resume testing. The platy may have been on the way out before you bought it. Don't panic. You're doing the right thing. If your tapwater contains chlorine or chloramine, then a conditioner is a must.

Your mom's tank likely has sky-high nitrates and DOCs. She will need to be very cautious with water changes; small amount with gradually increasing amount and frequency.

This is a side issue for your tank, however. I think you're doing great.

Mark

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Crazy eyes the platy.. May she rest in peace..

I didn't know about the need for proper water changes when I first got into the hobby as a child. People think the filters on their tanks remove all bad stuff, which is obviously not true.

I know people today who say they have great success w/ no water changes, but to me, success is fish living years, not months. Fish will not live long w/out water changes and die a slow miserable death.

Jade- What type of filtration do you have on your tank? Does it have a section for biological media that you never touch, aside from swishing it out in tank water? This should be handling your ammonia. If not, it's heavily overloaded like said, or you're constantly tossing it out with media changes.

Jade.Crusader

AC Members
Jul 4, 2013
NE Oregon
Real Name
Green Shiva
I did know about cycling, but I falsely understood that using a bit of cycled water and a cutting of a cycled filter would instantly cycle a new system. We started like that with four platties and two neon tetras (survivors from the old tank that relatives were "tending" for a year). I feed just what they consume within a few minutes, every day, skipping day 4, but I will lower that to every other day. I also put a cutting of cucumber in that stays for about two days before I toss what's left, then no cucumber for probably 4-5 days after. I'm using a Tetra Whisper rated for 30-60 gallons and the tank is a 20. When I do water changes it is with a gravel vacuum and I dig into the gravel. I did find that in the back I was missing some spots, and I'm sure under the big rock hide is just atrocious. That's where our big fraidy cat pleco hides and I'm always afraid of disturbing him, but next time I'll get more serious and really give the gravel a good sucking. He can handle that once in awhile, lol. The test kit is on order! Should be here soon.

Another question, since I am using the gravel vac I add a few drops at a time of dechlorinator directly to the water running into the tank. That is still effective, yes? Beforehand I was doing it a gallon at a time and dechlorinating each gallon as I went and letting it rest which was taking my whole life.

We gave up on the 55 and found a nice 60, complete setup, on craigslist which we are picking up tomorrow, which will fix a lot soon, I think.

I also temporarily gave up on the 170 that my in-laws gave us. I was reading about setting up a large tank and the first thing suggested was to ensure that the floor is structurally sound. We are in a newer apartment duplex, and it feels very sturdy, but heaven forbid something happen... management would NOT be happy. So that's a project for another day. Maybe when we own our own place, or maybe when I feel more adventurous this summer.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I did know about cycling, but I falsely understood that using a bit of cycled water and a cutting of a cycled filter would instantly cycle a new system. We started like that with four platties and two neon tetras (survivors from the old tank that relatives were "tending" for a year). I feed just what they consume within a few minutes, every day, skipping day 4, but I will lower that to every other day. I also put a cutting of cucumber in that stays for about two days before I toss what's left, then no cucumber for probably 4-5 days after. I'm using a Tetra Whisper rated for 30-60 gallons and the tank is a 20. When I do water changes it is with a gravel vacuum and I dig into the gravel. I did find that in the back I was missing some spots, and I'm sure under the big rock hide is just atrocious. That's where our big fraidy cat pleco hides and I'm always afraid of disturbing him, but next time I'll get more serious and really give the gravel a good sucking. He can handle that once in awhile, lol. The test kit is on order! Should be here soon.

Another question, since I am using the gravel vac I add a few drops at a time of dechlorinator directly to the water running into the tank. That is still effective, yes? Beforehand I was doing it a gallon at a time and dechlorinating each gallon as I went and letting it rest which was taking my whole life.

We gave up on the 55 and found a nice 60, complete setup, on craigslist which we are picking up tomorrow, which will fix a lot soon, I think.

I also temporarily gave up on the 170 that my in-laws gave us. I was reading about setting up a large tank and the first thing suggested was to ensure that the floor is structurally sound. We are in a newer apartment duplex, and it feels very sturdy, but heaven forbid something happen... management would NOT be happy. So that's a project for another day. Maybe when we own our own place, or maybe when I feel more adventurous this summer.

OK, lets dispel a couple misconceptions: first, using old tank water really does nothing to aid in cycling your tank. The bacteria you want are not swimming around in the water, they attach to surfaces. Second, a piece of used filter pad or seeded gravel will help jump-start your cycle, but won't instantly cycle your tank.Your tank still takes time, often weeks, to fully cycle.

Doing gravel vacs when you draw off the older water is spot on. Do that every time. You can add your dechlorinator as you add the new water. Make sure you add enough dechlorinator to treat the whole tank volume each time you add your replacement water back in. If you have a 20 gallon aquarium, add enough to treat 20 gallons; add it all at once as you begin to refill.

Moving the décor to vacuum beneath is a great idea. If you don't do that, you keep those pockets of dirt and decaying matter which do nothing but create ammonia and eventually nitrates.

Keep up the good work!

Mark

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store