So confused now, please help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Jade. What type of filtration do you have running on the 20? Will it fit on the new 60? I run extra bio media in all my filters and keep a few extra sponge bubbler filters running in my tanks for the sole purpose of setting up new tanks. Like said, old tank water, decor, substrate will contain some beneficial bacteria, but most resides in the bio portion of your filter(s). Unless you're talking sponge bubbler filters. Those are mechanical and bio all in one.

Reactions: Jade.Crusader

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
I'm using a Tetra Whisper rated for 30-60 gallons
to answer Freshy's question.

I would say that another filter is needed, and IMO a tetra whisper is not a strong filer, my suggestion would be to add an AC 70 (aqua clear 70)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
to answer Freshy's question.

I would say that another filter is needed, and IMO a tetra whisper is not a strong filer, my suggestion would be to add an AC 70 (aqua clear 70)
Oh for sure! I missed the Tetra Whisper thing.. I would definitely add an AC70. I'm not a big fan of any other HOB than AC. Sponge bubblers are great if you like/want bubbles. I don't see a point in making bubbles if it's not powering a filter. LOL. Lots of low cost canister options too. Love the Sunsun 302.

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
Lots of low cost canister options too. Love the Sunsun 302.
not to hijack the thread from jade, but I have a question about that filter. I keep a spare filter on 75 gallon and keep AC 30 and 70 sponges and biomax in it, for putting in spare tanks when needed.

could you take the AC biomax media and put it in a canister like this ?

Jade.Crusader

AC Members
Jul 4, 2013
NE Oregon
Real Name
Green Shiva
No worries, ask any questions you want because I am learning too :) .

Thanks for all the great advice! This is really helping.

I would definitely add an AC70.
When you say add, do you mean to the 20?? Or are you saying move the Whisper to the 60 + an AC70, and then also get an AC70 for the 20?

Also, the 60 is coming with its own filter. I'll update here when I know what it is, though I'm certain it is something generic and underpowered. We'll see...

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
no the filter you have is now is ok for a 20 gallon but is not for a 60 gallon. so when you switch over you will need to put your Whisper that you have now on the new tank and put another 2nd filter on it as well and then cycle that filter while running the whsiper filter as well since it has the bacteria in it

the main thing you want to do is overfilter a tank, because you cant really OVER filter a tank you want to have it filter as many gallons per hour as you can to help keep pristine water conditions, now with your current tank being overstocked, if possible getting and AC 70 on it would greatly help your water quality

now with any AC filter I would recommend getting a sponge pre filter on it, so that it doesnt suck your fishies up in it like mine used to lol

Last edited:

Jade.Crusader

AC Members
Jul 4, 2013
NE Oregon
Real Name
Green Shiva
You can add your dechlorinator as you add the new water. Make sure you add enough dechlorinator to treat the whole tank volume each time you add your replacement water back in. If you have a 20 gallon aquarium, add enough to treat 20 gallons; add it all at once as you begin to refill.
I think I need some clarification here. The dechlorinator is safe to use in this quantity daily or every other day? I am just nervous because my dad seemed pretty adamant that I was making a bad choice, but that's why I'm here. To make sure he's wrong, LOL! I have been doing 25%-50% water changes, and each time I only have been adding enough to treat the water I add (5-10 gallons at a time). So, even though I am only adding 5-10, I should treat 20, and this is safe daily or every other day? I just want to be sure.

now with any AC filter I would recommend getting a sponge pre filter on it, so that it doesnt suck your fishies up in it like mine used to lol
Whoa! Good advice :) .

Now, we just got back from trying to pick up the tank. We tried last week. Borrowed my parents' big rig, drove an hour away, only to be stood up. No problem; things happen. Got back in contact with the person and made the same arrangements and trip again today, got a good look at it, and it's nothing like the pictures show. I mean.. it's the same tank... but it's just a mess. Bad water scaling, the stand needed sanded and painted. All of the equipment was heavily crusted in hard water build-up, etc. I really felt obligated to take it, but after giving it a solid look over with my husband I made the snap decision to tell her we'd pass.

NOW, *deep breath*, after talking it over all the rest of the day, we decided to put our money into setting up the 170. It is going to take some descaling, buying new canisters, buying new heaters, and then moving the monster over to our place, which is my biggest obstacle at this point.

Let me know if I should start this in a new thread, but my new questions are:

1. What is the best way to descale? I have heard there is a safe acid-like chemical that I can buy at the hardware store that people use on their aquariums. I tried getting scaling off of a tank once. I soaked it in vinegar for HOURS and scrubbed and scrubbed with a razor blade and I think I ended up ruining it because it never got any better. I don't want this to happen to the big tank, so I need professional advice.

2. I am on a budget as far as equipment goes, but I still want to over filter this thing and keep the water moving, so what is the best yet most economical canister solution? I know I will need at least two.

3. I know I will need two heaters, same question here, best yet most economical solution.

The hood and light fixtures are still good, I will just need to buy new bulbs probably.

Other than that, are there any other tips/recommendations you can give me about taking this on? I am a little overwhelmed, but I know it is my best option at this point.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I, and many folks here, use Prime as their de-chlorinator. And over the years I have been in need of heavy daily WCs to handle a large increase in load or the fish I were keeping needed it, such as juvie discus. If you premix your water in a separate container, you can treat just that volume. If you are filling back to the tank directly, treat for the volume of the tank. The directions for Prime actually state that. Again, I have been doing this for years and never encountered a problem.

Your Dad may be a bit right, IF he was talking about chemicals that attempt to sway the water parameters, such as pH up or down, but I doubt it from their standpoint on water changes. You may not need a de-chlorinator with well water, but that wouldn't preclude doing WCs regularly to replenish the buffers needed to maintain pH and other things in the water to maintain the tank close to the source water conditions.

Jade.Crusader

AC Members
Jul 4, 2013
NE Oregon
Real Name
Green Shiva
Good to know! And my dechlorinator is API, but it's almost gone so I'll see about getting Prime. Thank you for clearing up my confusion! I have a 5-gallon jug I can use to treat the water separately so I'll do that just to be on the safe side (at least most of the time, maybe not every time), even though from what I am understanding it would be fine to go ahead and treat it all each time. That helped :) . Thanks :) .

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
there are directions on the bottle of prime, i cant remember if its x5 or x10 the max dose for your tank before it would be considered to be to much.

I personally would get two AC 110's and maybe a small powerhead.

I personally do not have experience with canister filters so I cant really advise on those .

now when setting up this larger tank you also need to relize that you will need to cycle this tank, as your tetra whisper will prolly not fit on the edge of the tank, so you may need to take the media from your filter now and use it seed your next filter

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store