So, I'm new to this. With questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Open top...lots of bubbles, warm temp.... sounds pretty expected....

Gruffid

AC Members
Nov 27, 2015
Well, I just dropped the water temp to 76. Is there a more reasonable temp to keep it?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
76 is fine for the fish you have. If you can find a cover (even if it is only partially covered), and bring down the surface movement, your "top-off" will be lowered. Now to just finish the cycle

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
My only concern with that much evaporation would be the increase of minerals and such in the water over time. Could you maybe top off with reverse osmosis water (assuming you have a filter at home)? I would definitely consider turning down some of the bubbles at least putting a partial cover on. I have gotten glass sections cut at local glass shops for 20-30 bucks and used those for lids. I currently have one on the tank in my signature; I only have about 1/3 the tank covered but it makes a pretty big difference in regards to water loss/humidity in the tank (the main reason I have the cover; it allows moss to grow much better).

Gruffid

AC Members
Nov 27, 2015
So, I just lost a pleco and two albino cats. I tested my water and the wide range PH is at almost 9, ammonia is near 0, phosphates look to be about 2.0 ppm, and nitrites look to be 0 ppm

Im about week 4 from start up. Are these numbers consistent with being 4 weeks into a cycle? I'm really concerned for the rest of my fish.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I would do a 50% WC and also test the tap for the same readings for comparison. And still a liquid kit for all of those? Not a dip strip? It's rare for folks to buy a phosphate kit, IME.

Last edited:

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
You dont really need the phosphate test for a freash water tank just ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph.
How oftern are you doing water changes and how much?
Near 0 ammonia isnt 0, what are your ammonia readings?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store