1. Please double check and update your email address --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details
    Dismiss Notice

So, I'm trying to save a powder brown tang..

Discussion in 'Surgeonfish' started by Subliminal, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Subliminal

Subliminal AC Members

I stopped by the lfwis (local fish with ich store) today on my way home from lunch to do a little browsing, and the first fish i noticed was a 2 inch powder brown with ich REAL bad. I felt awful, and the sticker said $49.

So, I asked the owner what his plan was, and yadda yadda, he sold it to me for cost: $12.

More news as the story develops. ;)

2. Max

Max It's me

I'd start with a good f.w. dip make sure the ph of the water matches your tank water though. It's stressed out as it is now and we don't want to make it worse! Please, keep us posted I'm tempted to save fish from time to time but, I usually avoid doing so . I don't like to encourage bad practices. I'm not yelling at you or anything but, it has to be said if he would q.t. his fish he'd save a lot of money and lives.
    keep us posted please.
    Max

3. archer772

archer772 AC Members

I would also put nori in the tank everyday for him and soak any other foods that you feed in garlic. Good Luck

4. Subliminal

Subliminal AC Members

Well, the guy is learning. He has sand in the bottom of his fish tanks, and I've been telling him for a while he should go bare bottom so that the ich doesn't just live down there forever...

And today, when I was walking out, he was instructing an employee on how to best remove all sand from all the tanks....so, more power to him!

Here's a pic of the poor lil sick guy:

[​IMG]

5. Subliminal

Subliminal AC Members

The hospital tank setup:

[​IMG]

6. Max

Max It's me

Looks good glad that he's in a better home! How are you planning on treating the poor guy? I'm glad that the lfs is listening to you ," you should mention a consulting fee ;) ." I really do wish you the best that's a nasty case of ich I'd almost consider giving it a very breif dip in malachite green or some other copper based med . I don't normally advocate the use of copper or meds in general but, there are times when it's called for. Le pauvres poissons.
    hth
    Max

7. Neenie

Neenie Upgrade has arrived people!!

Hope he pulls through, he looks ok apart from the ich of course and I think he's in the best hands, knowing what you know already about ich!

8. FeatherDuster

FeatherDuster AC Members

I wish you the best of luck! Its great that you managed to give a fish a chance at life and inform the fish store of its mistake while trying to improve their practices.

9. Subliminal

Subliminal AC Members

Here's the plan:

He's in a 10g tank with 1.019 sg

in 48 hrs he'll go in a second 10g tank, maybe 1.020-1.021

in another 48 hrs he'll go back in the first 10g with 1.021-1.022

in another 48 hrs he'll go back in the second tank with 1.023-1.024

After that, he'll probably go in the display, which admittedly is way too small for a tang, but he's a little fella, and there is PLENTY of food in their for him, so he'll be alright for a while, and then eventually he'll go to someone in the nj reefers, as getting rid of a small tang shouldn't be a problem at all.

The plan in the QT tanks it to use a freshly scrubbed tank with 100% water change each time. What this does is when the ich drops off the host and the eggs go into the bottom of the tank, the water is totally changed and the life cycle of the parasite is broken. Do that a few times and I'll have a healthy little fishie.

:)

10. Subliminal

Subliminal AC Members

Finally found the old thread on NJReefers.org: