Some plumbing help/ideas needed. Let's see yours.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
Loving it! It's so neat and organized! My projects start out that way but never quite end that way. lol

With my very limited knowledge of cerges reactors isn't that a lot of flow to push through that small filter housing? I see the 20" ones usually recommended for high flow rates. And then with that tall strainer in there it is a very short distance before any bubbles would be able to exit out the housing. I am working on my first closed loop cerges myself as we speak so I'm trying to understand your methods.

And again, limited knowledge, isn't it better to send positive pressure though the manifold then pulling negative pressure? Have the pump before the manifold vs after. In my research it always says to never inhibit the flow into a pump, always put any head or back pressure after them pump.
I have a vale before and after the reactor so I can throttle the flow through it, and a valve on bypass line on the left so I can control how much water will bypass the reactor as well. I'm also considering adding some plastic discs inside the reactor to slow the flow and direct the water inside through a specific path.

I've also been looking at a dual venturi design as posted on the barr report forums. So there will be a second tube coming out of the top of the reactor that will feed into the venturi of the ecoplus to pull out excess gasses that can build up at the top of the housing.

As for the pump I'm thinking of going to a smaller pump now because I might be wrong about how much restriction this manifold will put on the pump. I was going to get the 594GPH pump and figured I would probably lose half of the flow rate, but I found a chart that shows the EcoPlus pump curves and it seems to show that the pumps GPH rating won't drop as much as I thought it would at full head.
The reason I'm going for a specific flow rate is because I'm going to add a UV sterilizer on this, probably an AquaUV 57W unit, but in order to achieve proper sterilization, the flow rate will need to be about 280GPH through the UV to get the 336,000uWs/CM^2 target I'm aiming for, The math behind this can be found here

I'm not sure about restricting the flow to the input of the pump, but again, I may place the pump before the manifold so it does push water through it, but I was also overlooking the fact that the aquarium itself will push water through the manifold because of the siphon effect, so if I place the pump at the outlet of the manifold, it may not be as restricted as it seems because the water will naturally flow through the manifold and the pump would be acting as just a little bit of a booster to get the water back into the aquarium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store