Starting a SW tank, some good advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JasonA

Jack of all trades, master of none!
May 23, 2003
www.montero4x4.com
just one more question...the of the LFS said to use argonite for the bottom, then live sand on top...

Any thoughts on that or are they just trying to get the $44/bag out of me?

Thanks

Corax

Temporarily risen from the dead..
Nov 14, 2001
That's exactly what the playsand is for. If you can indeed find Southdown or Old Castle, then you have aragonite sand, for $4.00 per bag. Otherwise, the only option is to pay the $40 per bag to the lfs to get aragonite... Aragonite = Southdown, and Southdown = Aragonite... (Southdown and Old Castle are the same product, differnt retailers...)

However, silica based play sand is an absolutely acceptable alternative to aragonite.

Corax

Nov 14, 2001
oh and after the ammonia spike, watch for the same kinda of spike in your nitrites. You'll see nitrates initially also (after the ammo and trite spikes since it is the end product...), but as your DSB matures, it will process the nitrates into nitrogen gases and bubble out of the tank harmlessly.

JasonA

May 23, 2003
www.montero4x4.com
cool...thanks for all the info...

UPDATE: Just got back from my little trip..Took the $35 bag of coral back and got a $5 bag of Aragonite from the local cement shop...they had every type of sand imaginable but that's what I got..

I also got 2 more pieces of live rock, and another 10lbs of live sand.. also got a maxi-jet head with the variable diverter...it's the 800 so that's more then enough along with the canister filter..

For now, I got a 40w 50/50 bulb... didn't get a chance to run over to Big Al's but I'm gonna order the 4x36 kit from AH and build a nice little hood for the lights...

I'm gonna start getting it ready soon...any other last thoughts?

Thanks,
Jason

Corax

Nov 14, 2001
"UPDATE: Just got back from my little trip..Took the $35 bag of coral back and got a $5 bag of Aragonite from the local cement shop...they had every type of sand imaginable but that's what I got.."
Woah there, be careful what kind of sand you grab. You only want sterilized, sand box safe, play sand. What brand is it?

"I also got 2 more pieces of live rock, and another 10lbs of live sand.. also got a maxi-jet head with the variable diverter...it's the 800 so that's more then enough along with the canister filter.."

Where are you keeping the liverock? You shouldn't have it until after the cycle.

"I'm gonna start getting it ready soon...any other last thoughts?"

Umm, yeah, where ya keep that liverock? That stuff doesn't keep well outside of water ;)

JasonA

May 23, 2003
www.montero4x4.com
Sorry for the long delay, but dinner plans took over my setup tonight..

As for the sand, forgot the name of it, but it's Aragonite Playbox sand. It says "Sterilized, screened, washed and kiln dried." I've got another 50# bag in the car but it's late and I'm tired..

So I don't have to wash this sand then? Just put it in, add the lacerock, then start to add water ??

If the water is cloudy, how long does it take to go away..I assume I should use the charcoal fliter to help get any left over dust out of the system??

I'll wait a day or two before I add the salt...wanna make sure everything is kosher..

As for the rocks, the lfs guys said to keep it in this special bag for up to a week...after all the salt has desolved, then you can add it to help speed up the cycling process...

Anywho...I'll start first thing in the morning.

Corax

Nov 14, 2001
"As for the sand, forgot the name of it, but it's Aragonite Playbox sand. It says "Sterilized, screened, washed and kiln dried." I've got another 50# bag in the car but it's late and I'm tired.."

Sounds like the right kinda stuff. Congrats, we Southern folks are all envious of your ability to get the good stuff so easily =P

"So I don't have to wash this sand then? Just put it in, add the lacerock, then start to add water ??"

Nope, the varied particle size is a good thing. Now, it will take some time to settle, but you can't really do much for that. Patience grasshopper =)

"If the water is cloudy, how long does it take to go away..I assume I should use the charcoal fliter to help get any left over dust out of the system??"

Nope, let it settle on it's own. All that dust is a beneificial thing.

"I'll wait a day or two before I add the salt...wanna make sure everything is kosher.."

Yeap, cuz you don't wanna go dumping 40 gallons worth of salt in until you know everything is gonna work. That junk ain't cheap!

"As for the rocks, the lfs guys said to keep it in this special bag for up to a week...after all the salt has desolved, then you can add it to help speed up the cycling process..."

Err, a bag? Never heard of that before. Yes, the liverock can and will speed up the cycle, but anything bigger than bacteria that is on it right now is gonna be completely fried by the ammonia spike. Liverock, IMHO, should only be added after the cycle is complete OR placed into a new tank in sufficient quantities to instantly "cycle" the tank. Again though, that's not a cheap think to do..

Corax

Nov 14, 2001
Originally posted by Awestralian
This is a good thread to learn from!

:D
That's what we are here for =) Feel free to ask for clarification on anything I've glossed over. When you've done it a few times, you take it forgranted that people just naturally understand the stuff yer talkin about.

JasonA

May 23, 2003
www.montero4x4.com
So how long will it stay murky for ??? I put in the sand, got the lacerock setup, and then very slowly started puting water in it..

But it's murky...very murky.... and I've got the tank swirling around at a pretty good rate too...

Should I wait for the water to clear before I put the salt in ??

Thanks,
Jason

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store