Stocking and compatability

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PkeD

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Ohio
Real Name
Aaron
New to the forum, however I'm looking for insight into my aquarium compatibility, and how "full" it currently is. My stock is as follows(125G)

2 Tire track eel?
2 Red spot severum
2 Jellybean parrot cichlid(Daughter had to have them, I know)
3 Angels
2 Banded leporinus
4 Bala Shark
1 black ghost knife fish
1 Spotted pictus
7 Mystery snails
1 Pelco
1 Albino bristlenose pleco
Several live plants
And a Betta(in breeding net) waiting to be transferred into our 5G setup for him.

PkeD

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Ohio
Real Name
Aaron
The tiretracks will most likely fight. The leporinus will make your angels finless.
Thus far, the only issue I've had is the tiretracks love flipping the snails, then pull them out and eat them. So the snails are getting moved. It begun after i put yellow shelled snails in, they picked on them until they were gone. Havent started messing with the rest of them, yet. The leporinus haven't begun messing with anything, however I will keep an eye on them and if they start nipping, they will come out.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
sizes on the current fish?

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Not to be too critical, but how much research did you do before stocking this tank? You have huge problems with this stock combo. The Bala Shark needs a school at least 6. The Knife may look like a big bruser swollowing entire fish and all but the severums will kill him if the parret doesn't do so first. The knife will likely die of stress be fore getting ripped up. The angles same thing ripped to shreads or stressed to death. Your poor bristtle nose will need to hide all the time it will never gain enough size to defend against the big cichlids or the eels.

You need to research and decide on 2-3 types of fish to keep and rehome the rest. The larger they get the harder it will be to get rid of them. Sorry to be such a downer but I hate to see a group of nice fish go to war for no good reason.

Reactions: wesleydnunder

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
This tank has issues. I started a list and then just gave up, haha. No offense! Gotta go ahead and narrow down which fish you want to keep. I would remove eels first and most importantly, then sort out angels versus other cichlids and leporinus. You can do some work on what types of fish you want, i.e. a couple big fish versus schoolers, etc. That'll hopefully help straighten things out.

PkeD

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Ohio
Real Name
Aaron
With advise from the forum(along with behaviors i saw in the tank) I rehomed the most recent Firetrack(still have the original one purchased) and both Banded leporinus. Also moved the bristlenose into another aquarium, and got rid of the generic pleco(they were SHREADING my plants, no matter how hard I tried to keep them from doing it). Also moved all snails and the Betta into a 5G setup.

Also the Bristlenose never got picked on by the eels or severums. He just hung out and did his own thing, as in eating all my damn plants!

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
My sis has a BN that went after the amazon swords, but mine leave my plants alone. Something to keep an eye out for.

I have heard that common plecos can become problematic with some unsavory behaviors (attacking fish, demolishing plants), so avoid them like the plague!

PkeD

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Ohio
Real Name
Aaron
My sis has a BN that went after the amazon swords, but mine leave my plants alone. Something to keep an eye out for.

I have heard that common plecos can become problematic with some unsavory behaviors (attacking fish, demolishing plants), so avoid them like the plague!
I've never had them mess with my other fish, and up until i started having live plants I loved them. Now my setup looks like hell because of them!

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I've heard/read that commons can develop a taste for fish slime, but up until now, I really haven't had a tank big enough for an adult common anyway. My LFS has several that are in the foot to foot and a half range, and they still look too big for my 180g. I go with BNs right now because they stay smaller, and the pair I have in my 29g are pretty active and entertaining. I have read that BNs can damage plants if there is insufficient food, so I make sure to supplement mine. However, my BNs actually do eat the food I feed the rest of the fish, and they are always front and center at feeding time.

The plants in my 29g are anubias, moss, marimo balls, small swords, and wisteria.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store