Stocking and compatability

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PkeD

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Ohio
Real Name
Aaron
With advice from the forum(thanks a ton!) I have dwindled down stock to the following:

1 Tiretrack Eel
2 Red spot severum
2 Jellybean parrots
3 Angels
4 Bala shark
1 Black ghost knife fish
1 Spotted pictus
Several live plants

Also in the process of trying to rehome the Severums and Parrots. The Snails, BN pleco and Betta all happily in their 5G planted home! After I finish removing the Cichlids I feel like the tank will be very empty, as all of the fish has not yet grown to full size. With that in mind, could i stand to add 2 more Balas? And with what will be in, what else could I add?
1 Tiretrack
3 Angels
4 Bala shark
1 Black ghost knife
1 Spotted pictus

Severums and parrots pending rehoming today. We are trying to figure out what else to add. We like cory cats, however my wife and I both really dislike tetras(just one of those things I guess) any other ideas?! Also thinking about a few more angels(maybe 3 for a total of 6).

PkeD

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Ohio
Real Name
Aaron
1 Tiretrack
3 Angels
4 Bala shark
1 Black ghost knife
1 Spotted pictus

Severums and parrots pending rehoming today. We are trying to figure out what else to add. We like cory cats, however my wife and I both really dislike tetras(just one of those things I guess) any other ideas?! Also thinking about a few more angels(maybe 3 for a total of 6).
Thinking about maybe a Bichir? Bad idea?

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
The bichir may go after the angel's fins, whether or not the fish's body will fit into its mouth. Also bichirs can be kinda stupid about food, going more by smell than sight, so the pictus may outcompete it. They can also be somewhat picky, and are known escape artists, so a tight fitting cover is a must. My older bichir will eat anything, but the new one that was dropped off at work went on a hunger strike for a few days, even tho it was obviously underfed when it was brought in. I finally got him interested in food after I dropped a piece of beef heart on his nose, but he's still a picky eater. The ever hungry sunfish usually ends up eating everything I try to feed this bichir.

The eating habits between the 2 bichirs are interesting. My older one is a very active fish, and readily eats right along with the other fish in the tank. The newer one "plays" with food before actually eating. It will grab a piece, mouth it, spit it back out, and then repeat the process a few times before deciding to actually eat. This usually gets the attention of the sunfish, who will swoop in and grab the food when the bichir spits it out. The tank is 6 feet long, so I feed at opposite ends to distract the sunfish, and I've even used the planting tool to place food right in front of the bichir.

Based off the personality of my older one, I'd say go for it because they are very interesting fish.

PkeD

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Ohio
Real Name
Aaron
The bichir may go after the angel's fins, whether or not the fish's body will fit into its mouth. Also bichirs can be kinda stupid about food, going more by smell than sight, so the pictus may outcompete it. They can also be somewhat picky, and are known escape artists, so a tight fitting cover is a must. My older bichir will eat anything, but the new one that was dropped off at work went on a hunger strike for a few days, even tho it was obviously underfed when it was brought in. I finally got him interested in food after I dropped a piece of beef heart on his nose, but he's still a picky eater. The ever hungry sunfish usually ends up eating everything I try to feed this bichir.

The eating habits between the 2 bichirs are interesting. My older one is a very active fish, and readily eats right along with the other fish in the tank. The newer one "plays" with food before actually eating. It will grab a piece, mouth it, spit it back out, and then repeat the process a few times before deciding to actually eat. This usually gets the attention of the sunfish, who will swoop in and grab the food when the bichir spits it out. The tank is 6 feet long, so I feed at opposite ends to distract the sunfish, and I've even used the planting tool to place food right in front of the bichir.

Based off the personality of my older one, I'd say go for it because they are very interesting fish.
From what I had read, seems like they would fit in for the most part, with what i have. However I didnt know about the possibly of fin nipping. Will have to keep that in mind, if i can find one near-by.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I had a very small one in a community tank with a betta, and it kept grabbing the betta's fins. It was too small to eat the betta, but it was still going after it. Maybe fin nipping isn't the correct term, but from my experience they will try to catch some fish by grabbing their fins - or at least this particular one did. A bichir should be fine with adult angels. Everything on your last stock list gets much too large to be seen as prey. I think the only potential problem would be the pictus outcompeting the bichir for food.

PkeD

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Ohio
Real Name
Aaron
If I can find one, I am going to snag it. The pictus hides, litterally ALWAYS. The only time we see him, is when we pull everything out to clean, or catch a fish for whatever reason. My tank seems empty now, so may have to get on the ball sooner rather than later!

PkeD

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Ohio
Real Name
Aaron
The pictus is likely hiding due to stress of being alone. It's a schooling fish and much more active in groups
I figured it was, however, we don't want more in the tank, however don't want to hurt it with a net trying to get it out. When we were pulling everything we rehomed out, he jetted every time. So I think its lose lose. He's just destined to be alone forever:(

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Use a clean big gulp cup and shovel him in with your hand. He won't hurt ya :) pictus are too social to not have friends, like clown loaches, and will get listless and bored/stressed without friends.

YOU ARE DOING A GREAT JOB!!!! :D

Aalso..bichirs don't nip. They swallow the whole darned fish.

Reactions: wesleydnunder
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store