1. Please double check and update your email address --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details
    Dismiss Notice

Stray voltage ?

Discussion in 'Marine Equipment, Products, & DIY' started by Jody, Jan 3, 2012.

  1. Jody

    Jody AC Members

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2010
    Messages:
    541
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Hi All

    I am away from home right now , returning in 5-6 days my wife is looking after my tanks :crazy:

    So today she was doing something with my frag tank and got a shock from the water so she says

    I know i could use my multimeter and check it out , but im not home and my wife is not going to test it with a multimeter just not going to happen :shakehead:

    So would a volt stick work ? I have one and im sure she can use it , just turn it on put the tip in the water check for voltage or well it need to be grounded ?

    I don't think its stray voltage i guess its faulty equipment

    The tank has the following equipment

    Light fixture
    heater
    power head
    protein skimmer
     
    #1 Jody, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  2. greech

    greech AC Moderators

    Joined:
    May 13, 2009
    Messages:
    4,193
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Tallahassee, FL
    Real Name:
    Graham
    I wouldn't...

    http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19911218.html

    "29 CFR 1910.303 (a) and (b) require that electrical equipment be "approved", meaning listed or labeled by a NRTL. Since the "Volt Stick" has not been listed or labeled by a NRTL, it does not meet 29 CFR 1910.303 (a) and (b) standards. The exposed metal clip, aluminum case and cap make the "Volt Stick" a potential conductor and may expose the user to the hazards of electrical shocks."

    I would definitely figure out if SV is an issue. Can be stressful on livestock. If its's the heater, it could be a bad sign that it may blow. Is it a Stealth heater by chance? How bad is the shock? Not that this is safe either but how about unplugging the heater and seeing if the shock is still there?
     
  3. Jody

    Jody AC Members

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2010
    Messages:
    541
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Its a old heater not sure on brand but i do know its a cheap one and its not a stealth thinking maybe a tetra,

    My volt stick is not a conductor its all molded plastic no metal parts but its not water proof only the tip would be as its a molded part , its appoved by c CSA us, CE, TUV, C-Tick. CSA is a NRTL

    Even if i had my wife unplug the heater how would i know if the shock was still there unless she put her hand in the tank again, and she told me it was a bad shock her arm went numb for awhile :flamed:

    It is a frag tank with only snails and not sure if there alive or not
     
    #3 Jody, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  4. Jody

    Jody AC Members

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2010
    Messages:
    541
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Update

    The wife unplugged all the equipment other then the light and installed a old powerhead I had as spare

    so i hope the tank well be fine for next few days

    Thanks all
     

Share This Page