Stressed fish - contaminated water?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Penguin88

AC Members
Nov 29, 2011
Hey, just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I have a small tank and I run bio-media only, the "batting" type. In the tank I have live plants, with a variatus platy and a small male gold dust molly. Every once in a while I remove a small amount of the batting and replace with fresh media, just to keep it from getting too icky and never having to do a large change of the media, to avoid disrupting my bacteria. The other day I added some more of my bio media in my filter and soon after my platy started seeming stressed. He was hiding in the plants with clamped fins. The next day he was completely hidden in the plants. It's weird though, my molly is acting fine. I did two 90% water changes with Prime and he continued acting stressed, but no signs of illness. Just seems stressed. Today I put a little bit of Prime in the tank in case my filter is disrupted and I am having an ammonia spike, but he didn't improve. I picked up some filter carbon and media bags and am running carbon in there, he seems to be doing a little better in that he is out in the open and his fins are no longer clamped but he is still swimming in place a bit. My molly continues to be fine.

I was wondering if maybe some hand soap could have gotten in on the bio media if maybe I didn't rinse my hands well enough, and the platy is more sensitive? I believe I washed my hands before putting the new bio media in. Hypothetically, could that cause this? And would the addition of carbon running in the filter remove any chemicals that may have gotten in from my hands? Has anyone else had something like this happen? I have had something similar happen before with fish acting stressed, and running carbon fixed it. I do have some erthromycin, could I use it as a sort of general antibiotic to treat the tank with if the platy continues having issues? Or should I maybe get some tetracycline? Or a "cure-all" like lifeguard all-in-one?
Sorry I don't have a test kit right now so I can't quote parameters.

Penguin88

AC Members
Nov 29, 2011
Yeah, a couple hours after running the carbon, the fish is acting normal again. Are there contaminants, other than in the water going in or from fish waste etc, that get in tanks sometimes that carbon removes?

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
if you are seeing ammonia spikes, sounds like you are having a mini re cycle. my suggestion would be not replacing your filter media unless it is falling apart

Penguin88

AC Members
Nov 29, 2011
I don't believe it is an ammonia spike. two 90% water changes didn't help. The platy is back in hiding today. Could he be sick? What kind of medicine should I use for this?
It is essentially batting that is marketed for aquarium filter use. Like loose filter floss, not in pad form.
I need to get an ammonia test kit, I believe.
I've been keeping fish 11 years, but I just have this small "easy" tank now. I "left" the hobby a couple of years ago and gave away all my supplies, just picked up this tank a few months ago for an easy little setup, but now it is giving me problems :(

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I would try to use some kind of foam filter pad cut to fit instead of the filter floss because everytime you toss out the floss you toss out all the bacteria living on it. You said you have two fish, right? But only one is acting stressed?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store