Switching fish to diffeent tank (how to)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Foxie

AC Members
Dec 10, 2012
Florida
Camera Used
Canon 7D, or Galaxy s10 note phone
I would like to switch my two emerald cory's and 4 black tetras to my 55 gal. do I need to float them in bags first?
TY for a reply

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Is your 55 gallon cycled? I'm assuming it is, but just wanted to make sure before I gave my suggestions.

Here's my opinions:
All floating does is give the fish time to sit in their own waste while they adjust to the temperature of the new tank. I prefer not to do it, as I have read a few places that it causes more harm than good.
The best practice method would be to drip acclimate the fish to the new tank before putting them in. You can find that process in detail here: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/threads/detailed-drip-acclimation.154736/

A lot of the risks of moving fish to a new tank are reduced by the drip acclimation method. I wouldn't personally recommend floating. Simply moving them has a lot of risks as well, even if the tanks are similar temperature and water parameters.

Foxie

AC Members
Dec 10, 2012
Florida
Camera Used
Canon 7D, or Galaxy s10 note phone
TY.... for the answers to my fish switching question. My 55 is 5yrs. old the 5 gl. is 2yrs. They are both well established and doing well just not enough room for the Cory's and wanted to see more of them in my larger tank. My Betta died so will reset the tank after I move these fish. I will take readings again to see lvl's and try the drip, Tifftastic, I did not notice what to use to drip the water..TY also sumthin fishy.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'll throw my vote in for acclimating too.. Risk should be very low, but I'm always one to be cautious.

And I normally use plain old air hose for drip acclimation, with a knot tied in the end to slow the flow.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
TY.... for the answers to my fish switching question. My 55 is 5yrs. old the 5 gl. is 2yrs. They are both well established and doing well just not enough room for the Cory's and wanted to see more of them in my larger tank. My Betta died so will reset the tank after I move these fish. I will take readings again to see lvl's and try the drip, Tifftastic, I did not notice what to use to drip the water..TY also sumthin fishy.
I move fish from tank to tank quite often.. nearly all of my tanks are the same water parameters and get changed regularly .. I simply scoop them and move them

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
If your fish were in a 5 gallon the water quality is going to be better in the 55 gal, I can almost guarantee, unless it is heavily stocked. I'd go for the drip in that case. Even though quality is better, it can still be a shock.

+1 for airline hose for drip acclimation

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I would probably do a large scale water change on both tanks to bring parameter and temp closer together and then move the fish directly to the 55. Cories can exude a toxic chemical when stressed so the less stress, the better. Also, careful using a net as their pectorals can easily get entangled and damaged from nets. If possible, try catching them in a plastic bag (challenging) and avoid the possible injury.

Mark

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Is there such a thing as a plastic bag net? I mean a net with metal handle and frame, but with a smooth plastic bag instead of mesh. I guess it would not be too hard to make one out of an old net.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Is there such a thing as a plastic bag net? I mean a net with metal handle and frame, but with a smooth plastic bag instead of mesh. I guess it would not be too hard to make one out of an old net.
coat hanger and a sandwich bag. I would set it down on the bottom and use something else to herd the fish into it so you don't fight the drag.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store