Switching fish to diffeent tank (how to)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Foxie

AC Members
Dec 10, 2012
Florida
Camera Used
Canon 7D, or Galaxy s10 note phone
I just did a routine 10gal. water change 5 days ago on my 55. don't want to do another atm. The cory tank is actually 10gal. sorry for the misinformation in first post. ph- is 7.0 on 55 community tank 7.6 in the 10gal. ph down slowly is what I'm doing for the next few days then will start the drip. I will use the bag- coat hanger attempt first as the tank is heavily planted it will be a challenge. They are such beautiful fish, I want to stress them as little as possible.
TY so much for all the replies.
Foxie

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I used to use plastic cups to catch catfish when I worked at the pet store. They worked pretty well if you were quick enough. If you're not leaving anything in the 10 gallon, you can lower the water level and that will make catching easier as well. A pH that different suggests to me that the rest of your parameters are probly off by quite a bit. By pH down do you mean the chemical or that you are going to get the pH down? I would suggest water changes rather than the chemical if that's the case. But that is just me. A 50% water change every day for the next couple of days should get the parameters similar, but don't just look at the pH also look at ammo, nitrite and nitrate as those all can effect the fish.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Thought that was the whole point of dripping - to have them get used to the new tank slowly instead of having to fiddle with the old tank for days trying to match tanks. Changing water every day for X amount of days back to back may also induce unnecessary stress to the fish. Apparently the 10 and 55 are different eco systems, so doing water changes in the 10 may never bring the ph down to the 55 level.

I would just drip them. Instead of putting a knot in the air line you can also use one of those regulator valves. The valves are great as you can start really slow (maybe 1 to 2 drops a second) and open the valve a bit every 15 minutes or so. After about 45 minutes it should be good to open the valve all the way. Once you reach at least 5 times as high a water level in bucket than what you started with it will be good to go to release the fish (either with or without the water in bucket).

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I was assuming the OP was messing with the params in order to not drip, but now that its morning and I just re-read the recent post I see that is not the case.
I agree, no need to mess with it if you are going to drip as it is going to slowly acclimate them to the new water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store