Tank lighting for noob.??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SabP

AC Members
Sep 24, 2015
Yeah my second hand setup came with 2 globes in the lighting fixture.
It looks fantastic I think but was very bright so I took 1 globe out.

My biggest concern is just getting the balance right so I can keep the plants healthy and avoid algae blooms as much as possible.

Have found some good advice in the thread so far and when I have time I will look more widely at the forum and learn whatever else I can.

Caspan

AC Members
Sep 22, 2015
This actually for me is the funnest part, learning and researching something you are interested in! And yes it is hard to find a balance, because you need a light to make plants grow, well algae is a plant really so its a double edge sword. Let us know what you decide on and send in a couple picture of your tanks, you never know your pictures can help inspire others or give them ideas for their tank setup!

Jason441

AC Members
Sep 16, 2015
Ohio
This actually for me is the funnest part, learning and researching something you are interested in! And yes it is hard to find a balance, because you need a light to make plants grow, well algae is a plant really so its a double edge sword. Let us know what you decide on and send in a couple picture of your tanks, you never know your pictures can help inspire others or give them ideas for their tank setup!

Jason441

AC Members
Sep 16, 2015
Ohio
Sorry, new here!
I have a 75 gallon tropical freshwater planted tank. I have medium to lower light plants . Amazon swords, jungle Val, and what I think is wisteria. They are all doing pretty well and grow like crazy!
I did a ton of research and decided to just go low tech as I am a novice at this. I have two CFL twist type bulbs at 6500k , 1450 lumens each. They are in reflector hoods from the hardware store. Very low budget but really good results.
I overdid the lighting initially at about 7-8 hours a day. Had a black hair algae outbreak. Adjusted my lighting now to 5-6 hours and back it up ,for ambiance , with my Marineland LED bar light. I don't use CO2 . I do use under gravel fertilizer tabs , but sparingly. ( 1 every 4-5 months)

image.jpg

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Whatever works. Nice tank.

SabP

AC Members
Sep 24, 2015

So I haven't had any algae growth like I was getting after halving the lights to 6 hours daily.

Everything seems to be going well now,
Pretty happy about that after the $$ spent on my first aquarium.

Next thing I think I need is some suggestions on additional species. I'm definitely in the market for some algae eaters, so probably catfish.
At the mo I just have a bunch of tetras, neon, X-ray and glowlight. Plus 3 danios and 2 mollies.
Everyone is peaceful after the big dalmation Molly bully I had has been removed.

So yeah , plants don't matter, Im happy to deal with species myself for a while but fish / other animals would be good if anyone has suggestions.

My theme is really nothing. But after seeing a post on here I realise it would be good to have a geographical theme or such . Environmental theme. Not sure of the term. But I'm sure it's better for all the species in the tank no matter what kingdom they are.

Feedback always appreciated.

SabP

AC Members
Sep 24, 2015
Sorry, new here!
I have a 75 gallon tropical freshwater planted tank. I have medium to lower light plants . Amazon swords, jungle Val, and what I think is wisteria. They are all doing pretty well and grow like crazy!
I did a ton of research and decided to just go low tech as I am a novice at this. I have two CFL twist type bulbs at 6500k , 1450 lumens each. They are in reflector hoods from the hardware store. Very low budget but really good results.
I overdid the lighting initially at about 7-8 hours a day. Had a black hair algae outbreak. Adjusted my lighting now to 5-6 hours and back it up ,for ambiance , with my Marineland LED bar light. I don't use CO2 . I do use under gravel fertilizer tabs , but sparingly. ( 1 every 4-5 months)

View attachment 216068

Yeah. Looks great. You know a lot more than I do already. And you are new to this??
I guess given my lights and tank were second hand I didn't bother researching that aspect.
But since I have halved my light to 6 hours daily I have nowhere near the algae issue that I did have. So pretty happy about that.

Thanks for posting. Good stuff to learn for me

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store