Tank mates for shrimp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rgonzales

AC Members
Mar 30, 2012
If baby shrimp can fit in the fishes mouth sooner or later you'll have missing shrimp

kriskitty23

AC Members
Feb 15, 2012
I have 5 endlers in my 10 gallon with Red Crystals and Yellows. Everyone is perfectly happy.

fish n chickens

AC Members
Oct 5, 2011
I have kuhlis and cories in with my RCS. I've seen even baby RCS snatch food from the mouths of the kuhlis, and after countless hours of watching they've never eaten a single one.

In fact, the shrimp are breeding out of control. I'm actually looking for something that might pick off some of the baby shrimp, while hopefully others survive in the moss and lots of plants & cover...

In another tank I had some cardinal tetras and ghost shrimp, but the tetras occasionally harassed the shrimp, especially biting their eyes. Surprising since the tetras never ate food off the bottom, but bit the scavengers sitting on the bottom while they ate the fallen flakes. Even my adult RCS are smaller than the ghosts were, so I'm not inclined to get cardinals now...

but what about the hatchets? Has anyone had RCS with hatchets? I haven't had those since I was a kid - I'm guessing they'll eat bite size RCS on leaves within a couple inches of the surface, right? Or strictly floating food? These might be what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the other recommendations, too. Would dwarf rasboras be any less aggressive than cardinal tetras? I wonder if they would wipe out 100% of the RCS babies.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
IMO--Hatchets are a good choise. They only eat food from the surface.

rgonzales

AC Members
Mar 30, 2012
Again no fish is 100% safe, what works for some doesnt work for others. I know a guy who just sold his kuhlis because they ate some of his crs.

reefdive

AC Members
Jan 27, 2012
It is up to us to use our common sense when it comes to combining fish with shrimp . I have a tank 30 gallon with 50 or more pleco , cory , dwarf whiptails , and lizard cats . Also swimming all over the tank are 80 to 100 black bar endlers . I pull and sell 200 Sakura shrimp from that tank some months .

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
I'm pretty new to RCS, so this is just my minimal experience... I had 4 male guppies with my shrimp and never saw them pay any attention to the shrimp at all. The guppies only ate from the surface and any food that fell from the surface was ignored. I actually bought the shrimp to clean up the food the guppies missed. I had the guppies first!

I bought a couple female guppies to go with my males, and boy did that change things! The females will forage around on the bottom of the tank. The males never did this at all. I suspect the females would eat any shrimp they can find.

The males that I had were albino blue topaz and red snakeskin guppies with huge tails, so they weren't the fastest swimmers. The females are certainly a lot quicker...

Lisa

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store