Tank stand question on poly

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
Sandpaper for that task. you need to feather the spot out. Just like you would an auto finish.
Not knowing what the stand looks like and how bad the fail is I might consider a strip and refinish.
I have a bookshelf that I built 30 years ago. It had been 3 floods and looked worn. Since it is real wood there was no damage. The wife wanted me to paint it white and since I have no real attachment to it agreed. So I took part of it apart. Like the back. Figured it would make it easier. As I start looking at the build I decided to relegate it to the garage instead. Let me say my woodworking skills have increased about as much as our national debt.

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Yea I have it a good sand down in the spots and then reapplied the stain, looks reall good now. Just have to do the poly then I am done!

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
If you used oil base stain give it a few days. One thing you may want to consider is giving it one coat of a dewaxed shellac. That will give you a barrier between the old poly and the new. I personally have never needed to do that because generally I work from new projects but it is a recommendation I read all the time in the books I have on finishing. The shellac won't react with either oil or water base.

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
If I remember correctly, when applying the poly, I sand between each coat when it starts feeling tacky right?

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
If I am using oil I use 000 steel wool and 0000 for the final if I am not rubbing it out for a mirror finish. Water will be sandpaper for obvious reasons.

I wait 24 hours between coats and sand right before I recoat. If you do it while it's tacky it gums things up.
For new work I won't sand the first coat. And to be honest with water I don't sand every coat. I put 2 coats on per day and sand coat 2 to level the finish. 3 goes on then four. Four is sometimes the last coat but with water I run 6 generally. Oil is 3. With water I like the depth I get with 6 coats.

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Ok cool then I'm doing it right, I put a coat of poly down, waited till next day did a light sand then put another coat on, now tomorrow I'll sand and do another coat and so on

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store