The 150: a work in progress.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dvandevelde1

AC Members
Jul 30, 2015
So quite a few months ago I bought a 150 gallon tall tank for $100 knowing it leaked. I never thought it wouldve been so hard to seal a fish tank. Now that the tank is sealed and ready for scaping I want to start posting pics about it. I'd love opinions every step of the way. Here's what's going on so far. The tank measures 48x24x31 inches. I will be using a quad bulb 4 ft t8 to light this tank with an upgrade to led or t5 probably happening in the future. Filtration will be handled by three bio wheel 350b hang on back filters with a diy canister filter coming somewhat soon. I'm completely undecided on fish but will probably go for angels and tetras and Cory cats and a bunch of other misc fish. For decor I'm going to be using plants that I am undecided on so far along with applewood I have pictured below. I think that's it for now updates coming soon hopefully... image.jpeg View attachment 216466 image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt. Ray

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice wood...what kind is it?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
That is a 31" deep 150gal? Wow, will be difficult for light to reach the bottom. LED will not work, you may have to go low light, even with your planned lights. Someone else may help, but to me it will be difficult to plant.
You can still have a VERY beautiful tank, but not so sure about plants.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Hey, I have a curiosity question for you. Can you measure internal dimensions for me since you don't have much in it yet? Getting a data set together and your size tank is one I don't have internal measurements on yet.

dvandevelde1

AC Members
Jul 30, 2015
That is a 31" deep 150gal? Wow, will be difficult for light to reach the bottom. LED will not work, you may have to go low light, even with your planned lights. Someone else may help, but to me it will be difficult to plant.
You can still have a VERY beautiful tank, but not so sure about plants.
I know it's going to be difficult. I the plants don't work out than I guess I'll just have to make a beautiful hard scape with rock and stuff. Really hoping the plants will work though.

dvandevelde1

AC Members
Jul 30, 2015
Hey, I have a curiosity question for you. Can you measure internal dimensions for me since you don't have much in it yet? Getting a data set together and your size tank is one I don't have internal measurements on yet.
Internal dimensions: 47x23x29.5
External dimensions including rim: 48.5x24.5x31

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Thanks. Your tank holds 138 gallons without accounting for decor. The data set I'm working on is nominal volume and actual volume listing and comparison.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
You could always look at some marine type lights to get fixtures/bulbs that will get higher light levels deeper. Personally; I think a sweet hardscape down below with some plants (maybe moss/java fern/anubias or similar) attached to the hardscape higher up might look kinda cool. You could really have some light drama going on in that tank with a darker bottom/more brightly lit top; which is what happens in many bodies of water anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store