The Cruelty to Bettas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I agree that they should not be kept the way they normally are. But it can be a slippery slope when you go down the cruelty to fish road. When is any fish kept in an aquarium properly housed? We can set any cut off line for the appropriate number of gallons and tank footprint for any given fish but most of us will never come close to giving them the kind of space they would have in nature. I can argue that most of my fish live longer in my tanks than in nature so I am actually doing them a service. But most of them will never reproduce so I have deprived them of their most basic reason for being alive. I have been keeping fish for a long time and will not likely give it up but if you follow the Betta in a cup thinking far enough most of us just have a slightly bigger cup and should give up keeping fish.

Ok I do get your point, but there is a huge difference between the way we keep our aquarium fish and the way bettas are kept in cups. We supply our fish with fresh water each week, we provide filtration , we provide food and we try to approximate their natural environment, albeit in a small way, but we do not torture them. At least I don't think my fish are being tortured. The little bettas in cups have no food , no filtration, not much air, and an environment that is like nothing they would live in naturally. Their water is polluted with their own waste. They have no hope unless someone comes along and buys them. Yes, buying them does keep the process going I admit. I don't knpw what the answer is, do you?

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
The answer is simple don't buy from those who house animals in conditions that you do not approve of.
OK. Got it.
Ok, got it too. Found a newly opened LFS in town that does house bettas nicely. The females are in community tank with other fish and the males in small bowls with always fresh water. Had to grab me a few females - so much nicer to point at the tank and pick your fish instead of picking up them nasty cups.

Picked up a blue, a red, a white with pinkish fins, and a grey one. Here is a picture of the red one:
red female betta.jpg

red female betta.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
"an environment that is like nothing they would live in naturally."

Not really true in their dry season.....

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
pretty female. Love to see pics of the other ones.
I was afraid you would say that you wanted the others in pictures. Can only help with the white one and a really bad picture of the grey one with the red. None of the pictures of the blue worked out. There is too much room for them to hide in the 29 gal tank they are in. They love the bubbles in the back as well as being goofy by hiding behind plants. They want to be watched, but not with a camera.

2015-05-03 20.39.09.jpg 2015-05-03 20.43.13.jpg

2015-05-03 20.43.13.jpg 2015-05-03 20.39.09.jpg

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Very pretty fish Duckie. I like the stripe on the blue one and the blue edges on the grey one's fins. Are there any other fish in there with them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store