The Oto Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Bad, bad feeling. I only saw one baby today. So not happy right now. Snails still acting funny as well. Something definately not right.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Keep us posted. Hope you find them...rooting for ya!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Unfortunately no luck. Only one spotted today. It is not even one of the bigger ones. That jug of water had to be fouled. I can not find any other explaination. Found more baby shrimp but no oto's.

Water Test today:
Temp: 74
PH: ~ 7.4
Ammonia ~ 0
NitrAte ~ 40
GH: ~ 11
KH: ~ 6

Turned the airstone on again for about an hour. My snails are kinda out of the shells as I can see their antenea and occassionly their siphon tube but that's it. No movement around like they used to.

I may do another 25% wc tomorrow.

Just majorly bummed.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Little good news today. Went down to remove the remains of the zuccinni and search for wee ones. While searching for the little ones, I was looking through the back of the tank. I found two eggs in the crypt jungle. I also noticed that one of the snails had moved a bit and looked as if it was digging in.

Went back to the front of the tank and searched the crypt jungle again, found (4) more eggs.

Found mamma still muching on one of the zuccinni's so decided to leave that one in. Chose to remove the second piece. Since the second slice was right under the second grouping of eggs, I had to carefully negotiate the net to pull it out.

My daughter came down and joined the search for babies. She discovered one...the big one! Awesome! So I now know that at least one of the older babies had survived. Leaves me a little hope. No other babies were found.

We also found another snail was also moving around and burrowing in. While watching this snail dig, I found (2) more eggs in the crypt jungle.

Found even more baby yellow shrimp as well.

Decided not to do the 25% wc today due to findings.

Tank Status as of 05/18:
(1) bigger sized baby ~ 1/4"
(8) new eggs.

Here's a couple of pics of two of the egg groupings:

eggs1_051809.JPG eggs2_051809.JPG

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
05/19:

Completed spot check today.

Spirits definately looking up.

Oto Update: Three eggs hatched out. One in the process of hatching as I type. I was watching this event for several minutes prior to dinner. Took several pics. Getting ready to check them out. Remaining six eggs still looking good. Mamma continues to work over the zuccinni carcase. I know I need to pull it out as it is mushing up pretty good but if she's still working it....I'll let her have it til tomorrow when I replace with fresh.

Only baby found today was the big guy. Continues to remain active. He is working over the Rotala sp. 'green' more now then the crypts.

Snails: All five briggs are moving about now. Yea!!! Found two sharing the same stem. Almost looks as if they are making out. :) Makes me feel so much better.

Water Test pending.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Couple of quick photos

1) The big baby
2) Hatching in progress

bigbaby.JPG hatching_0519.JPG

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Water test results: Same as last reported.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
05/20

All eggs hatched. One wiggler spotted. Getting ready to drop in more zuccinni (the old remaining one is completely gone...nary a trace of it left).

Here's the latest find:
babyoto_052009.JPG

Update on the big baby:
bigbaby_052009.JPG

babyoto_052009.JPG bigbaby_052009.JPG

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store