Thinking about switching to salt...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Nice job. Don't sweat the scape. You'll change it about 500 times over the next couple of months :).

The yellow/gold that you questioned as a sponge looks like a gorgorian. The green bubbles look like the remnants of a green sponge.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Yeah, all tanks go through a ton of rescapes before they settle in.

And don't worry about reaching the back/side glass. Unless you are very OCD about clean-glass you will eventually become happy with simply cleaning the front glass and telling all your friends "it's supposed to be like, part of the "natural environment" for the fish!". :evil_lol:

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
As long as it looks cool I won't be too worried. You can see the right side from the dinner table, so that one needs to be clean lol.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Measured my sg again today, is was just a touch above 1.020. It was 1.024 yesterday, at least 8 hours since I added more salt. Do I wait longer and check it, or should I add more?

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
I have an xp4, my ac110, a koralia evo 750, a koralia nano 240. I'm getting another powerhead too soon.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Weird that it went down so much unless when you got the 1.024 was right after you added some SW.

If you have verified your measuremnt and SG still needs to come up I would siphon out a bucket's worth or water and add some salt mix to that. Not sure what SG to tell you to mix it to but probably in the 1.030 range. Once that's mixed for a few hours add it to the tank and let it circulate for another hour or so before checking again.

The easiest thing to do is mix it right in the tank but if you do that I would at least remove the rock.

audifeesh

AC Members
Aug 18, 2010
^what he said. And idk if it got covered earlier in the thread or not (literally, I can't see the other pages... Server errors) but that xp4 could be bad news for you down the line unless you like cleaning it out often.. Which is the one thing I know that I hated most on all my canisters lol

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
^what he said. And idk if it got covered earlier in the thread or not (literally, I can't see the other pages... Server errors) but that xp4 could be bad news for you down the line unless you like cleaning it out often.. Which is the one thing I know that I hated most on all my canisters lol
Same here with the server errors, it's getting old. And tap a talk would help a lot too lol, but anyways...Yes I've been told it will need frequent cleaning, which I don't mind. I wish I had room for sump but I don't right now. I plan on cleaning every water change.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Well the sg was 1.022, so I'll be checking it again tommorow. I saw a bristle worm I believe, and possibly a tiny aiptasia, I'll be getting rid of the aiptasia very soon. Should I just remove it now or let it grow a bit to make sure what it is?

Edit-it's smaller than a pencil eraser, so could I just smash it into the Rock with my finger or would that cause it to spread?

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store