Thinking of switching from XP to Linux...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Hmm,, IME, the only problem with a bootleg version of windows XP is getting the latest system updates..

I guess that's the point I use a site license from work... :)

Probably the biggest difference between Firefox and internet explorer is that frefox won't use activeX controls.. which is probably the most vulnerable part of the system, go have a look at it.. Here

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
dougall said:
Hmm,, IME, the only problem with a bootleg version of windows XP is getting the latest system updates..
That issue has been fixed. ;)

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
yeah.. but it was less trouble to grab the product key from my work laptop..

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
Riso-chan said:
My main reason for this is viruses and a need to protect the work I do on my pc. I used it a bit in college, but need some advice. Is it as simple to use as windows? My only only concerns really are with certain programs working on it, such as Adobe Photoshop 6, MSword (or similar program) and digital camera software. Can anybody share their experiences with it if you have it, and give advice where ever needed?

I've just had alot of problems with my pc lately, and I'm tired of having to worry about all my files being corrupted. I don't want to have to be stuck in a consantly updating and outdating cycle with windows anymore, it just seems so unreasonable now, especially with the costs of updating or buying an entirely new OS. Give me your thoughts~Angela
If you are really contemplating a switch, consider a new Mac with the dual core Intel processor. You get ease of use with less risk of viruses, plus the ability to run not only OS X, but Windows XP so you can still use the Windows-based programs you already own. :)

Mishi8

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I just put linux on my desktop, its been a learning experience but I like it. I'm using Mandrake 10.1 (newer versions are called Mandriva), so its a little older but it works great (once you get the dependency crap figured out). Once thats done its pretty easy to install programs using the package installer. And its all free, which is really nice.

tomdkat

Da Man
Nov 29, 2005
dougall said:
I don't want to put you off, just make sure you want to switch for the right reasons... switching will take time + effort.. but don't hesitate to ask..
Excellent post!!! I agree with everything you've posted thus far and strongly second the LiveCD. Ubuntu is a very popular distribution for ease of use. I've used LiveCDs for Knoppix, Ubuntu (both GNOME and KDE), Slackware, and most recently Elive (E DR17 kicks major ***!).

Use the LiveCD to try out a Linux distro and see what you think.

I also strongly second the recommendation to implement a "best practice" policy when it comes to Windows. If Windows is all you know, it could be hard for you to open your mind to anything else, just like it's hard for me to open my mind to a FOWLR marine aquarium with no undergravel filter. :)

EDIT: By the way, I'm an old Slackware 8 user at home and I'm in the middle of rebuilding my installation due to HDD problems. :)

Peace...

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
sploke said:
Once thats done its pretty easy to install programs using the package installer.
When I used Mandrake, I couldn't live without apt for RPM, synAPTic and PLF repositories.. it always made everything so easy for me..

tomdkat said:
By the way, I'm an old Slackware 8 user at home
I started on redhat 5 in the mid 90s.. currently running a Gentoo box for a couple of years or so. A 2nd machine is currently running Ubuntu I think.. it gets reformatted periodically so I Can try something new.

tomdkat

Da Man
Nov 29, 2005
dougall said:
I started on redhat 5 in the mid 90s.. currently running a Gentoo box for a couple of years or so. A 2nd machine is currently running Ubuntu I think.. it gets reformatted periodically so I Can try something new.
Ok, time for the Linux "war stories". :D

I started on a floppy based Slackware 3 distro and I've still got a number of the floppies I used for installs back then. :) Slackware 8 was my first CD-based install. :)

I had Slack 3 installed on a 100MB SCSI HDD I held in my hand as I worked since it wasn't permanently attached to the machine and I would crack my case and attach it during lunch time. Those were the days. :)

I tried a Gentoo installation once but it failed. I might give it another shot one of these days.

Peace...

Abilor

Certified Pisceal HydroTechnician
Nov 19, 2005
Troy, NY
dougall said:

Here[/URL]
For those with bootleg XP, you can still get system updates by doing the following:

go to Start>Programs>Windows Update

at the top of the browser, enter this code into the address bar:
javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all')

Make sure to hit carriage return; the text will highlight blue. Select express and go from there. If the system doesn't let you grab the files, just backtrack, do the same trick, and try again.

As far as switching to Linux, I've found it annoying in the past, and I am very comfortable with root, permissions, BASH, C++, and the other basic tools necessary for survival. Sadly, however, Linux offers deep functional capabilities, but little scope in software outside basic things like browsers, word processing apps, etc., except for those hardcore types who code their own rendering package for a bit of fun on the weekend. Getting something seemingly simple with thirty different XP shareware versions, but no Linux version just got too annoying. LinuxHeads will always pipe up, wheezing and whining at this point, "SO WRITE YOUR OWN! THAT"S THE FUN PART!!" I left that sort of thing behind when it got tedious and required showing up at a cublicle early in the mornings to do it for other people who didn't know any better, and I didn't enjoy doing it for it's own sake anymore.

Now I just wish I knew more about fish...

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Not to be a wet blanket here, but all this stuff about bootleg copies of XP and how to circumvent and get updates could land AC in a world of trouble if it's read by the wrong person(s).

Roan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store