To fizz or not to fizz? Using feeder blocks on vacation

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SandySquarepants

AC Members
May 31, 2015
Been trying to figure out if feeder blocks are strictly nessecary for going away on vacation or if just leting the fish go without is healthier. I'm going on vacation for 4 days so is a block even needed? I've got 4 undersized platies (due to a friend's breeding mishap) all about the size of neon tetras, as well as a panda cory. On a side note, even though I don't have any (yet) what about feeding fry on vacation? Would a fish sitter be the best solution?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Four days..let them go..they will be fine...fry...sitter.....

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I have heard some bad stories about using those blocks. I have never used them, but it does not sound like a good idea.

duane stuermer

AC Members
May 21, 2015
I go on vacation for 10 days at a time, at least 2-3 times per year, and don't feed. I just do a large water change the day before leaving.
The only time I have had significant fish death, was when I had a neighborhood kid feed while i was gone, that was back in the 80s, never again.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I always did the same as above. Fed the fish, did a water change and left. First thing I did when I got back was feed and do a water change. When I had roommates I hid the fish food in my room to keep them from "helping out." I used to go away for a week or two every six months when I had the tank. I never had any issues.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
In planted tanks, or tanks with healthy sponge filters, I seldom worry about feeding daily. Unless you have predators or fry in bare tanks, they'll be fine. Most fish experience 'low food' situations naturally and are evolved to cope better with that than with overfeeding.

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
I would not worry about leaving for 4 days. When I am gone longer, I will leave measured food in pill boxes. I put about half of my regular feeding in each box and leave 1 box for every 3-4 days. Too much food is WAY more likely to cause fish deaths. I wouldn't use the feeder blocks. They can increase your water pH and if the fish don't actually like the food, it will rot and pollute the water.

SandySquarepants

AC Members
May 31, 2015
Didnt return to the thread until after I got back so I had bought a 3 day block at the suggestions of friends and I suppose I dodged a bullet, because no issues, no cloudy water, everyones alive and well and the block wasn't even fully dissoved. Thanks for all the advice tho I will hold off next time.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
On a side note, I know that most fish will survive without being fed for several days to a week, but what about very tiny ones, for example CPDs?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store