1. Please double check and update your email address --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details
    Dismiss Notice

Trimming a moss ball.

Discussion in 'Planted Aquariums' started by msouth468, Oct 15, 2008.

1. msouth468

msouth468 Fighting for the little guy

I bought this moss ball from PetsMart and was wondering how to trim it. It is about the size of a softball now and I just need to cut it down to size. Do I just take it out and trim with scissors or is there something special I need to do?

2. jackiomy

jackiomy Lover of Oddballs

Jacki Wilson
    Is it a java moss ball? Or a marimo ball?

3. Bk718

Bk718 No Monkey Business

petco moss ball.. sounds like a regular java moss ball.. I would break it open and spread it out on wood, if you keep it tight as a ball like that the center will die off.

4. msouth468

msouth468 Fighting for the little guy

I does look like the center is starting to die. So I will probably just put it on my driftwood. Do I need to do anything special or just "break" it apart and use fishing line to tie it to the wood?

5. Bk718

Bk718 No Monkey Business

break it apart. You can cut away the brown moss if you want and use fishing line/cotton thread to attach it to wood/stones

6. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Registered Member

If you want to divide it, gently separate it into two parts. You can do this with your fingers, just concentrate on the center of the ball and squeeze/pull-apart 'till you have two parts. You can take a pair of scissors and just sever the ball into two parts also. Then "just kind a form the parts into balls" and let nature take it course in gettin' 'em goin' again :)

I usually don't to this until they are pretty close to tennis ball size, but I guess you can do it before then ...

Regards,
    JS

7. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Registered Member

BUT, and that is a BIG BUTT, if it is a Java Moss Ball, this will NOT work! In the center is a Styrofoam ball with Java Moss just tied to it ... the above only will work with REAL Marimo Balls.

Regards,
    JS

8. ciaobella7122

ciaobella7122 i love my ween!

If it's from Petco it probably is java moss. I don't get how they do this? It doesn't even look like a Marimo ... though I suppose it is technically still a "moss" ball... hmmm it still makes me mad