UGF for small ponds?! Crazy... or not? Tell me! :)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LiveMermaid07

Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.
Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
That sounds like an awful lot of trouble, considering how quickly comets grow.
Which part seems like to much trouble? I decided on the sponge filters for the tub. The other question - "on indoor ugf's though, when I have a hob intake in one of the uplift tubes, can I put another hob on and put it's intake in the other uplift tube?
Or do I have to have an air currant in at least one of the uplift tubes?" -
I was asking that about a tank I have indoors, not the pond tub, if that's what you were referring to?

In a few years they will be too big for a 54 gallon tub. You mentioned getting a tub from Kroger, which is I assume a grocery store?
-yes it is a grocery store. One of the employees says they sometimes sell them in the spring, another one said they never do, so I don'tknow if they even will have any for sale. It's a pretty thick plastic. It was oval shaped, the narrower bottom part maybe about 3feet wide, then widening as it went up to maybe 4 feet wide. Maybe 3 feet deep. I figured the added depth would be good to help them have a warmer area on the bottom in the winter. The tub I have now the 35g, last year the worst it got was the top 6inches froze. It was not fun breaking open a hole. - The 54g is shorter, that has me worried, but I was hoping to dig it at least a couple inches into the dirt, was hoping this would help maybe a wee bit with at least winter temps?
Oh, and it was thicker than either of the tubs I have now. I would still plant on painting the outside of either one.

We don't have Krogers around here, so I don't know what kind of tub you are referring to, but you would need to be careful about some plastics cracking in the winter, or over time. You would also need to be careful of the water freezing. How cold does it get where you live?
Normal years, we might get a few nights around 17F.

I feed my goldfish daily in the warmer months, my pond is around 600 gallons, 5' x 7'. That's a pretty small surface area, with limited bugs. And the frogs that have moved in compete for the insects. There's very little algae in my pond. I'm just not a fan of starving fish to keep them small, although I hear that all the time from people who do it.
I have only found 1 frog (toad?) in the pond once, I cover it with mesh screen to keep the acorns, leaves, birds, squirrles, deer, etc out.

We did get some cute pink/green frogs in the tub I set out beside it last summer. Unfortunately I haven't been able to identify the frogs. They looked similar to green tree frogs, but had a definitely pink stripe instead of a cream stripe. I think they also stayed smaller than the green tree frog, but no way to be sure. They were so cute.

I hope I'm not starving them... :huh:

LiveMermaid07

Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.
Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
Wow...that's so beautiful! I am totally green with envy :eek::
Me too! :)

I believe the OP lives in Georgia - yep. :D
, so similar weather to mine...right now its in the mid 70s typically. It's been a mild winter with few freezes, and it looks like we're in for an early spring.
I'm wary of anything that looks like early springs, I remember the blizzard of April, we had snow till May!:jaw-dropping:
I want to go ahead and start some veggies, but I've got a wierd feeling... I'm not sure I believe we've seen winter just yet...

I was pretty surprised that the fish survived the few below 30 degree nights we had (I actually didn't include them intentionally, they just came with handfuls of plants both floating and rooted which I got from my friend's clay pond) but they seemed unfazed, except for hiding until it warmed up again.

The JT snails are fun, and I might keep a few of them, but they seem to prefer cooler weather than what we're in store for in summer. I'll see how they do in shade, but I bet the water will still be over 80 consistently during the day, so I will probably sell them here or on eBay.
`

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store