Using a power head instead of air for sponge filter..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I don't even have problems if its 120 VAC...never have.
Whoops.. I meant AC. 120VDC would be even more terrifyingly interesting for this application. Lol

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Actually, DC would be less. But the point should be that many folks run with PH completely submersed and never have any issues. As encapsulated as they are, they just fail and stop running unlike heaters that can crack and allow stray voltages.

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
Actually, DC would be less. But the point should be that many folks run with PH completely submersed and never have any issues. As encapsulated as they are, they just fail and stop running unlike heaters that can crack and allow stray voltages.
They say that's why they say Edison financed the Electric chair. To prove that Tesla's AC current was lethal. 120V of either one is not recommended.

That being said, very little concern with power cords in the tank. Albeit less concern with power heads than heaters.

Reactions: Rbishop

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Actually, DC would be less....
I dunno about that. Either will kill you just fine. I used to do some work with DC powered lube oil back up systems for turbine skids. I'm more comfortable with my current 13000vac powered motors.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Yes, either can kill you, though AC can lock the heart muscles tighter by it's properties.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Joel, I think you're over thinking this! Be calm & do it!...The PH option I mean...of course, not the electrocution 1! DC/AC...there are always minor what ifs but in reality not so much...unless I've missed something really relevant & important that I haven't worried about before.

Reactions: FreshyFresh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store