FS Utricularia graminifolia

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
2 portions sold - 1 pending

** 2 portions available **

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
I can't plant them into a full fish tank yet with my tap water - it's too hard/alkaline, these were too expensive, and I'm too chicken. This is the commercial strain that's supposed to be hardier than the native one. But I'm still taking my time with the water dilution to make sure they can tolerate my tap water first so I don't lose them. As soon as I'm sure they'll be okay with my tap water, I'm going to use them in my large tank and smaller shrimp tanks.
Okay, BK got me thinking about the water conditions. (He's real good at that, the fink.. lol.) Shhh.. don't mention that. He won't notice this thread again. :lipssealedsmilie:

So, I posted that answer... then got brave with some of the UG I'm keeping. I've had several portions now in straight tank water.. high pH and hard. It's been 4 days now and they're doing fine so far. I suspect, therefore, that this stuff isn't as fussy as it's reputed to be.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
:evil_lol::evil_lol::evil_lol:

i would so get it but have to first get rid of all my floaters that are blocking 99% of the light :headshake2:
I had the same problem.. was almost ready to compost them. LOL.

If it's not happy with my tap water, I should see adverse signs of that within a week or so, right?

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I had the same problem.. was almost ready to compost them. LOL.

If it's not happy with my tap water, I should see adverse signs of that within a week or so, right?
Could even be days.. As long as it gets co2 and good light it should be fine.
I believe most are scared of this plant since it is on the harder to grow list.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Could even be days.. As long as it gets co2 and good light it should be fine.
I believe most are scared of this plant since it is on the harder to grow list.
The lighting is good, but it doesn't require CO2. Mine isn't getting CO2 at all and it's doing well. Under low light, it gets taller and more grassy -- that's where the 8 cm height kicks in. Under bright light, it grows shorter and fills in thicker... looks more like a bright green lawn. I like how it looks both ways.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
** sold out **

(Last 2 portions now pending.)

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
did you get these locally? getting any more in the future?
Not locally, no... I wish I could. I bought out the person I got this from. Don't know if she'll have it anymore. But I'll keep growing it myself in both emersed and submerged form... so I'll be able to offer more of this in the future.

I wanted to sell a few portions of this now. That way, I'll at least know someone else has it. (In case I do something stupid and wipe mine out.) I suspect a lot of us didn't know it existed. If others are growing it, too.. we can compare notes. That makes it better for everyone and easier for me to grow mine. I also wanted to offset a little of the money I paid to get all I could of this when I had the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store