Western Fence Lizard Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Hello everyone. Okay so I bought a plant from online and it came in 2 days ago. Well I decided to put it in a pot after I got home from work today and that went just fine nothing to really report. Well I got these big pots outside for my agave's which are just stacked and empty right now till I could get that project under way. Well about 2 years ago I was watering the grass when I saw something running toward me I was barefoot and it was night time well I had blasted the animal with the hose and well when I took a closer look it was a baby lizard. It being cold outside I brought it inside my room waited till the next day and then released him/her into my part of the yard where he/she would have plenty of little critters to eat.

Well it had this little light brown speck on the top of it's head and none of the other lizards have it. This year I had not seen the lizard and my step dad informed me he saw what he thinks is a big alligator lizard (he is not an expert on lizards so ID can be wrong). Well apparently it's been going after the other lizards and I thought maybe mine became a victim. Well happy to say I found my little guy and well it's alive.

Okay now back to those pots I brought up earlier. I picked up the first pot cause it looked a melted on the inside and when I did that I saw the lizard inside the second pot. It was in the gap created between the pots. There would be no way for it to escape on it's own so I put him back on the dirt in my garden. Well he doesn't move like he will move his head but not his body. The temperature outside is kinda cold specially with the wind and were expecting rain so can leave it out in the open. Also can't leave it out in the yard due to it being a very easy target for the ants which have made my garden there home. So I need to know what I got to do to keep this guy/gal alive and well enough to be able to be released back into my garden when the weather permits. My room is a bit chilly but warmer then outside just not enough to really heat up the lizard more. Only aquariums I got available right now are (2) 5 gallon tanks and a 135 gallon which I got no where to put it in my room. I also got a 10 gallon which is setup as a terrarium with various Sansevieria plants in there. So any ideas?

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
You can keep the lizard in shoebox, rubbermaid tub or small storage container if you don't have anything else to use. And if you don't have anything like a 40-60 watt light then you can "steal" heat from something like an aquarium by setting the box on top of the hood. They rarely put off more than 80F. worth of heat so you won't roast the lizard.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Well I was reading online and it says they hibernate. Well I had placed it in my terrarium and it disappeared. I searched my room my brothers room the restroom living room but nothing. Well today I went to water my plants in the terrarium and the ground moved. I looked closer and could make out a outline and well it exposed its head. Well I stopped watering with my spray bottle and it put it's head down and went back to sleep. So should I still raise the temp or leave it be for now?

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
It's your call. Unless you want to give it all it's proper needs I'd just release it on a warm day.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Well I had released it the following day after my post it was acting super active. Well it's back in my care again. Neighbors cat got a hold of it I scared off the cat and went outside to check the lizard out and it's the same lizard. It's missing part of its tail now. Was being very sluggish until I warmed it back up. granted by the time that happen it was night time and he decided to burrow into the gravel and go to sleep. Thinking about getting some equipment for lizards. Would hate for my little lizard to get caught by that dang cat again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store