What kind of Cichlid do I have and other possible tankmates?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fiske

AC Members
Apr 1, 2006
Pennsylvania
My fish are the same and I've posted some pics also. Whether or not we can get a positive identification, in my experience they are laid back and will not be a problem with other mbunas. I have a 55 gal with 3 of the yellows, 2 fuelleborns, 2 red zebras, 1 juvenile kenyi, 1 yellowfin borley, 1 electric blue hap, and 1 OB peacock. All of these fish get along fine but I have tried pure peacocks, the OB is a hybrid, and they were killed. There is also a syndontis cat and rubberlip pleco with them.

yellow adult 1.JPG yellow adult 2.JPG yellow juvenile 3.JPG

fiske

AC Members
Apr 1, 2006
Pennsylvania
I really recommend the Labeotropheus fuelleborni, my avatar. They are extremely laid back and never fight with anybody else or each other. I don't know why but the only ones available in my area are the OB grey and orange, the blue comes out when they get larger.

fiske

AC Members
Apr 1, 2006
Pennsylvania
I think liv2padl is right. The females on the bottom of this link look exactly like the ones I have. At first I was skeptical because the first couple pictures show dark yellow females with stripes and bright blue males. I've never seen any for sale like the males and the females are often sold so I thought why would only females be sold? But then they have a picture of a juvenile pair and the lighter females and everything clicked. I even had a juvenile male and got rid of him because he was aggressive :thud:. If I ever get settled in and buy that dream tank I'll definitely look for another one.

http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/panis/pseudotropheus_saulosi.htm

sonic7779

AC Members
May 11, 2006
Hello Again!

I want to thank you all for helping me determine the species of Cichlid I have. My Cichlid definitly looks exactly like the yellow female Cichlids in the links you guys provided. The male of the species of Cichlid I have is also a very beautiful fish. If I ever come across one and feel daring I might buy one and see what happens. I am pretty content though on keeping just the one Cichlid I have in my tank by herself. I want to make sure that I can care for her properly before adding, if I decided to, anything else. She swims around the whole tank like she owns it and she is very interesting to watch.

Thanks again for all your help!

Ronnie

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store