What to do with Rainbow Cichlids?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gspille

AC Members
Jan 5, 2008
Illinois
In my one 75 gal I have 6 Rainbow Cichlids I grew out over the last 7 months, along with 6 boseman rainbows, a bristlenose pleco, 2 australian rainbows, and a syno cat. 2 pairs have formed in the ranbow cichlids, and I'm looking to do one of the following:
A: Leave the two pair in the 75 gal, and re-home the two oddball rainbow cichlids
OR
B: Move one pair to my 40 breeder with my 2 bolivian rams/not paired, 6 diamond tetras, 5 green corys, and two clown plecos. If they'd be okay with the rams that is. (could re-home the rams) Plus re-home the 2 odd men out.

I also have thought about moving one to the 40 breeder, one to the 29 gal with my 10 tiger barbs, and leaving the 2 pair in the 75 gal. I can't move any of the rainbow cichlids to either our 180 gal or either 125 gal because the fish in them are too big and aggressive fish. Any suggestions? Thanks.

duane stuermer

AC Members
May 21, 2015
What is your ultimate intent?
Do you want to have them spawn and end up with fry?
Or simply to have some multispinossa in a tank?
I find if you want the pairs to spawn, and end up with fry, you need to give each pair a separate tank with no other tank mates. If not the other pair will ultimately eat the fry.
I kept 4 pairs in a 500 gal pool, and there would be many spawns, but fry would never survive, always ultimately get eaten by others onve free swimming.

gspille

AC Members
Jan 5, 2008
Illinois
For now I've gotten rid of the two odd men out. I moved one pair to the 40 gal. We are still deciding on final outcome now. One of the 125's we may be totally reconfiguring. One pair may end up there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store