What's the best powerheads to use in a reef tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

strangerdejavu

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
Grand Forks, ND
I highly recommend the "algae free" maxi jet mod. Puts out 1600 gph with a very good flow pattern. Puts out more flow than a Koralia 4, and is smaller! That said, I also have two koralia 3's in my 75g, and am quite happy!

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
3 #4 Hydor Korolia 1 #3 Hydor Korolia 2 1200 Maxi Jets in my FOWLR.

I like the Hydors for the wide water flow and they put out a heck of a lot of volume.

I like the Maxi jets for the direct currents they put into the water column. I like to be able to 'aim' my water sometimes, but never at corals.

Tom

minitheminx

Registered Member
May 5, 2010
I highly recommend the "algae free" maxi jet mod. Puts out 1600 gph with a very good flow pattern. Puts out more flow than a Koralia 4, and is smaller! That said, I also have two koralia 3's in my 75g, and am quite happy!
Strangerdejavu, do you just have the two koralia 3's in your 75g and nothing else? Its just that I have a 75g and am looking for new powerheads and have just seen your reply. I just wanted to check that the two are enough before I buy them.
Thanks

Markushka

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
NW New Jersey
I'm really surprised noone has mentioned the vortechs. yeah they're a bit pricey but they are very good powerheads, and worth the cash IMO. I'll be putting an mp10 in my 20Hex as soon as I have the cash.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Heh this thread is over two years old...I'm not sure how well-known Vortechs were two years ago. I'm pretty sure they were around, but not nearly as popular as they are now.

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
I didn't notice the dates either, haha. That being said, I love my new Koralia Evo 1400. It's about the size of my K2s but produces a wider, stronger flow. The price is hard to beat also.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store