Where do YOU purchase your freshwater fish from?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Erin B

AC Members
Dec 10, 2014
Out of curiosity, I am just wondering where a lot of you experienced fish enthusiasts get your fish from?

I am a newbie at this hobby and am located in Canada (Calgary) and aside from the local PetSmart or Pisces I am wondering where you get your fish.

Does anyone order them online?

Thanks!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
In Canada, I'm not sure, Big Al's I've heard of, I think they ship. Try to find a Can. fish board to see what others suggest. I bet getting fish from the US would be very expensive, that's where many of us here on AC live. Is there a site like aquabid (here). Is Pisces a chain or local? They may be able to order fish for you & there might be a local fish club or 2.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I almost exclusively buy from online or local breeders, have for years now. But I do like one of my local petsmarts above even the big dedicated fish stores or petco, every place is different with those chain stores just gotta find the good ones. Local clubs are a great source too though. Being that you are in Canada I don't have any particular recommendations, sorry.

Reactions: Erin B

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
I like to buy from my LFS and even a chain such as Petco. In either case, I make several visits before buying to see how healthy the stock is and how well-kept the tanks are. I've once ordered online, from LiveAquaria: the experience was flawless, but the shipping charges were murder. I'd do it again, if there was a species I really wanted that I couldn't find locally.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I've bought from a lot of different places and the most important thing is to just check that the fish are healthy. I've been to good petcos and bad ones, good petsmarts and bad ones, the horrid LFS and the amazing one. What matters is how the employees care for them and how good their stock is. The big box stores a lot of times use the same vendors as the LFS so it comes down to care in the long run

Reactions: irishspy and Erin B

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
I usually get all my fish From Aquarium Adventure in Columbus,Ohio. I love that store and have given them alot of business, now with that said they charge to much for African Cichlids IMO...

so I bought some African Cichlids from Blue Grass Aquatics and had them delivered to my home from florida to ohio overnight and all fish arrived alive and healthy, one of my females is already holding and ive had them 1 month

I have also ordered off AquaBid

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'm lucky enough to have two great LFS nearby. One is new and the other has been owned/operated by the same folks for decades. The old school one isn't the cleanest or prettiest, but I've never lost a fish from them prematurely. I have bought fish from Petco, Petsmart and Pet Supplies Plus, but it's always hit/miss from them.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Almost all from LFS. Maybe a few things from Petco when it has a sale. I have 4 very good LFS very near me.

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
There is a petco near me which I have bought fish from with great success. When I used to live with my parents the petco near them was horrible. I think it just depends on the establishment. There is a LFS I discovered near my house but I'm not very fond of it...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store