white stuff- injury

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ZannaClaire

AC Members
Apr 3, 2005
My friend got me a black moor the other day. He's quite small and in a ten gal tank by himself for now (upgrade this summer, and some fancy friends) I noticed he has a small tear in his tail with some white fungus/mold/rot stuff on it, and a bit on the base of his tail. I read that salt can cure it, what kind and how much, or what else would work? I have a bunch of other goldies, but this is my first fancy, and my first encounter with this problem. Thanks for any help.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
for fungus, a good item is the Jungle brand Fungus tablets. you just drop one into the tank (1 tablet per 10G) and follow instructions on the box. You need to take the carbon out of the filter and do a 25% water change after 3 or 4 days, but you can treat again if needed. They've always worked well for me. You can find them at most fish stores and Walmart.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
I would make sure you're diagnosing the problem correctly first. Can you take a picture and post it for us? Fish diseases are notoriously hard to diagnose, even for the experienced.

If it looks like his fins are torn and rotting, and the edges are gray or white, you're most likely looking at normal fin rot.
I treat fin rot with some aquarium salt (NOT marine salt and DEFINITELY NOT table salt), turn up the heat slowly, over a few days, to 80, and treat with maracide or maracyn-two. It should clear up within a week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store