Will this behaviour continue?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KarenL

Where'd those fish come from?
Hi, I have a tank with two common goldfish, a fantail and a black moore. Today, I did a 50% water change, added a small plant to one corner of the tank and added some new gravel, because there really wasn't enough to root the plants in. This evening, I noticed the black moore swimming around in a part of the tank he usually doesn't spend time in. Later, I noticed the fantail being very aggressive, not only to the moore, but to the two commons too. Is this normal? Am I going to have to take him out of the tank, or will this behaviour go away?

I've never had goldfish before, so I'm not really familiar with their behaviour. they do seem to have a lot of personality, though!
Thanks,
Karen

KarenL

The tank is small--only 10g for 4 goldfish. The only thing saving me right now is that they are all really small. It was the largest tank I could get on VERY short notice (the kind of notice you have when you have goldfish living in a mixing bowl on your kitchen tabel, lol). I'm planning on a larger tank, but am running a bit short on money right now, so I'm trying to eek this one along on water changes and the most aggressive, fast growing plants I can beg, borrow or buy (cheaply!)

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
10 is pretty small. They can be starting to get territorial and reacting to the difference of space with adding a new plant, as they grow fast. I'm surprised none of the fish actually have tried to eat the plant. I say hurry and save and get a bigger tank..... return some if you can't... and keep up with the massive water changes

KarenL

Well, the behaviour has mostly calmed down now, they're back to doing their usual things. I'm going to put it down to having changed more of the water than usual yesterday. And, I do have the weirdest fish. Goldfish are supposed to eat anything you put in front of them, eat all your plants, root in the gravel and the commons are supposed to boss the fancies around. Mine don't touch my plants, they won't even eat soaked pellets (I have one that will only eat the RED flakes, not any other color), they don't bother the gravel and it's the little fantail that chases the commons. :confused:

Lol, that's the fun of keeping pets!

Karen

squeek

AC Members
Feb 19, 2005
Hi karen
For a larger temporary home, may i suggest one of those large clear plastic storage comtainers? I have 2 of them and use them as quarantine/hospital tanks and they each hold 50L.

Another trick is a little kids wading pool....I have all 14 of my golds in there no problems...(im fishless cycling my 750L)...just make sure you have adequate filtration of do lots of water changes...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store