Worried about my juvie Jack Dempsey

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
he's motoring around the tank today, not a ton of movement but certainly pecking around for food, greeting me and swimming nicely. He's still pooping white stringy material and my treatment is supposed to be done in 24 hours, I'm not going to need to treat him again am I? What should I be doing if the stringy poo doesn't go away in time, or is this something where it just will?

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
K so, I started dosing on Sunday night 3/18 at 6 PM should I wait a week from the end of my med cycle (i.e. end of cycle is tomorrow 3/22 at 6 PM) which would have me starting again next week on wed 3/29 at 6? or should I dose again on Sunday 3/25 at 6?

Also, Jack's colors are still blanched and he looks like he has a very very poor slime coat but he's really responsive to me and starting to behave quite normally (coming to me when called, and flaring etc.), still has stringy white poo though.

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
Yeah that's what I'd do, just wait around a week and if he's still showing symtpoms, give him another round. One other option is to get some medicated food, angelsplus sells medicated flakes, or you can try the jungle brand anti-parasite food. Getting them to ingest the meds works beter than just treating the water.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
alright, then I'll give him through Saturday for observation, I do my WCs on sat. so that way any residual metro/prazi in the watercolumn will get cleaned out (scared of cross medication) and if he's still showing signs (I have a hunch he will be) then I'll try some medicated food. If still no improvement then I'll do a WC again on wed 3/29 and redose metro/prazi for the full 4 day cycle.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
Finally lost Jack, just when I was beginning to think things were turning around. Super bummed about this one. I don't know what to think, maybe I should have started meds sooner...who knows...very dissapointed to loose such a cool fish. Maybe next go round I'll pick something that doesn't have such a rare genetic trait fixed, something like a normal Dempsey...It'll be a while before I try that again tho.

RIP Jack :headshake2:

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
I mean, I normally don't loose fish, in fact I still have all of the first corys I bought from petco :rofl:. But when I loose fish its one of two things...a mindless fish I didn't care about and didn't expect to do well in the first place (something sick that I got from petco cause it was rare and cheep and it dies in QT). Or its a really special fish that I desperately wanted, took my time with, did my research and really went above and beyond with their care...this was the latter. I just really didn't expect this. Its just that I tried SO hard with this fish...really thought I could turn him around.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Awwww. I'm so sorry you lost him. WOW, you put so much time and energy into trying to make him healthy. So sad. I had nearly the exact same experience a few years ago with a baby Uaru. It just sucks. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store