worst ich ever

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

caseopia

AC Members
Sep 16, 2004
Southwest Florida
I'm so disappointed. I just converted my old tropical tank to a coldwater and yesterday I bought a few goldfish to go in there. As soon as I got the fish home, i noticed that one of them had some white spots. Called the LFS, and sure enough the woman goes to check and finds it in the tank they came from. She says I can bring it back if i want. I will be going back to the area tomorrow, but in the meantime I am treating with heat and salt.

This is now the worst case of ich I have ever seen... the fish is COVERED!

My question(s) are:

If i return this fish tomorrow, should i return all the fish that came from that tank? Do I need to quarantine my tank now in case the ich is in the tank?

any help would be great

lusifer

AC Members
Nov 12, 2004
iowa
Well I think your on the right track if you are wanting to keep the fish. The heat will mainly speed up the icks reproduction cycle unless you are going over 82'. The main thing is that you can only kill the ick when it burst off the fish the main reason you want to speed things up. The ick dosnt really like the salt and it also eases the stress of the fish. I would also treat with some kind of medication. If you are returning the fish I would leave the tank empty for at least 10 days before adding anything new. I have had good luck with treating ick and have never lost a fish to it yet. There is no one best way to treat it, the way I do it is going to be differnt from the next guy. Just do some searches and research and everyting should be fine. Best of luck
Travis

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store