Writing on a tank with a sharpie?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GatorDrew

AC Members
Apr 19, 2006
Alright, I'm doing the final mark ups on my sump and it would really be helpful if I could "draw" on the tank.

I noticed that my LFS was using what appears to be a regular ol sharpie. I know it would work, but would it be of any harm to the water/inhabitants? Could the Sharpie chemicals "come" through?

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I marked our sump with a Sharpie. I did so over a year ago and there's been no problems. It's still marked to that I can monitor water loss due to evaporation or simply know when the system is full when adding water back in after a water change.

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
A razor blade, or hairspray will work to remove it if you would like to. I would reccomend using washable markers tho if you plan on removing what you write on the tank..less hassle..

Blue

GatorDrew

AC Members
Apr 19, 2006
ya... I was thinkin of dry erase markers. That would make it pretty easy... LOL. Thanks guys!

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
the dry markers are spot on, a simple wipe and they are gone afterwards...write and draw whatever you like on the tank while planning it, simple wip over afterwards and a nice clean setup....

Niko

GatorDrew

AC Members
Apr 19, 2006
Thanks everyone...! Really appreciate it! Time to grab a couple of dry erase markers and have some fun!

Gotta say... was very intimidating about doing all this custom work on my sump and stuff... but it's pretty darn fun.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store