Zero Water = RO/DI?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MurphysAquarist

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
Fayetteville, AR, USA
Real Name
James
Ok, this is what I worked out;
ZW Pitcher w/ filter & TDS meter= $35
Replacement Filters= $15 (less if bulk)

RO/DI listed in the thread above (includes filters and a TDS)= $200

Now I need to go through a total of 12 filters (original plus 11 replacements) to equal the start-up cost of the RO/DI

That's 480g ($0.42) at 40g per filter or 360g ($0.55pg) at 30gpf (your figure and probably more realistic).

So, if the RO/DI can do greater than say 400gpf ($0.50) it would be worth it. Now I'm concentrating on start-up costs because this is probably gonna be a nano tank around 10-15g. It's gonna take a REALLY long time (I expect) to justify a higher initial cost without a faster break even point. If anyone sees an error in my logic or that I'm missing info let me know. No informed decisions without information! :)

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
Definitely go with the RODI, You will save in the long run by not buying something that you will be replacing with a RODI down the road.

MurphysAquarist

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
Fayetteville, AR, USA
Real Name
James
Yea, thanks all for the replies. It does sound better to go with the RO/DI. It's more in the short run but if it can more that 400-500gpf (which it sounds like they can do that EASY) then it will come out and I can even start putting that water in my fresh tank (NOT cost effective with the pitcher).Thanks again for everyone's input and experience.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Yes it'll do more then 500gpf, in the end its worth it. Especially later on if you decide to do another bigger tank. Probably take 3 of those filters just to fill my 90g.

dolfans1

I'm a victim of coicumstance!
Jun 15, 2005
Safety Harbor, FL
The RO/DI system will definitely be cheaper in the long run. I do 15 gallon water changes every 1 - 2 weeks; with the Zero Water system I'd have to get a new filter after 2 - 3 weeks. I'm figuring that would end up costing me $300 per year or so. I usually buy resin twice a year which ends up costing me less than $90 per year.

firstdon

AC Members
Apr 13, 2005
Queens, New York
Hey Murph, I tried using RODI units but in my situation I could not plumb it into my water source directly so I started out hooking it up directly to the sink, by removing the aerator, but this too became a pain in the A, as my aerator is not easily removed and then replaced back on. Then I saw this ZeroWater filter at Bed Bath and beyond one day. I decided to give it a try. Now I live in Queens NY and the TDS out of my tap is 30 - 40 ppm on any given day, its not bad compared to other parts of the country where it measures in the 100's but its still not good enough for a reef system. So after running my tap water through this zerowater filter, I received 0 tds water. As far as the replacement cartridges go, I replace mine about every 6 months, so I think my cost of making 0tds water is very little compared to a rodi unit. I have a 26 gallon nano so I change about 3 gallons every 2 weeks just to give you an idea, so for me being that my tap tds is relativey low this is great option, but if you have higher tds readings then yes you will exhaust the filters pretty quickly....just my 2 cents : )

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store