Anxiety/OCD and aquariums

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ROLLIN

fanta fanta, do you want a fanta?
Dec 4, 2001
New Brunswick, Canada
If you suffer from anxiety disorders or obsessive compulsive disorder, how does this affect your fish keeping abilities? I have suspected for quite a while that I may suffer from an anxiety disorder and maybe even a few symptoms of OCD. I never really gave much thought to how it affected my fish keeping until lately when I have been reading more into it. I always worry about fish tuberculosis when I do maintenance, and one of the signs of OCD can be excessive thoughts of contamination. Then when I am done I always wash my hands probably more than I really need to, or even (most times actually) take a shower. That is another sign, things like excessive hand washing. I also always make sure to clean (not just wipe up) any spot where I may have spilled the "dirty" water. As for the anxiety, as they say, it is worry gone out of control. Exaggerating things that many other people would just take in stride. This also comes into play. For example, thinking your whole tank is a lost cause due to a disease etc, when it might just take a little TLC to fix it.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I don't suffer from the issues you mention, (I don't thinK), but I would say I pay very close attention to my tanks and fish, getting to the point of checking on new arrivals in the middle of the night. But I don't consider that unusual.

FishBliss

Detroit Airport - so COOL!
Oct 1, 2006
Peterborough, NH
I can understand what you mean, worrying about contamination and such. Thoughts like that cross my mind once in awhile. It isn't entirely silly, either, to remember about contamination, both for your own health and the health of your fish. So a certain amount is useful. Cleanliness is a good thing too. No one was ever hurt from cleaning -- unless you get too compulsive about it and use a toxic cleaning solution -- but ordinary water is the perfect thing, most times.

Probably what you have to weigh is whether your worries overshadow the pleasure you get from your hobby. As long as you continue to enjoy fishkeeping it doesn't matter if you take a shower after tank maintenance. But if the necessity to take a shower is a burden, then you might want to investigate a "cleaner" hobby.

Just like anything, we all find ways to cope with our hardwiring. The goal is to be happy and enjoy.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Some of the symptoms that you are describing do describe a early stage of OCD/anxiety . The good news is that you've identified it and now you need to seek professional diagnosis and care. If caught in the early stages OCD/anxiety is much more controllable than when it completely consumes peoples lives.

It may be nothing but it is definitely worth speaking to a professional about.

I don't suffer from the issues you mention, (I don't thinK), but I would say I pay very close attention to my tanks and fish, getting to the point of checking on new arrivals in the middle of the night. But I don't consider that unusual.
OCD can manifest itself in many ways... is that really over 14,000 posts.

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
gee I never heard of fish carrying TB, I am always messing with the tanks, never worried about anything before, guess I am fine.
I would say seek treatment for the ocd/ anxiety . not a way to live and be happy :) good luck

TAMIOFVISE

I love the Baja
May 26, 2007
OHIO
I'm almost the other way around. I wash my hands before I put them in the tank. :] Sometimes just dry them with a paper towel when done and go about my business..

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
gee I never heard of fish carrying TB, I am always messing with the tanks, never worried about anything before, guess I am fine.
I would say seek treatment for the ocd/ anxiety . not a way to live and be happy :) good luck
I suffered heavy damage to fish TB two years ago on my comeback to the hobby. It started with the praecox. I suffered anxiety thinking who is the next victim in the next few days not knowing it was mycobacteriosis all the time. I decided to destroy several of the remaining fish upon discovering it was getting out of control. I initially thought it was dropsy as all symptoms were similar to TB. It hasn't happened since then but I have been very careful in selecting my fish.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
getting to the point of checking on new arrivals in the middle of the night. But I don't consider that unusual.
yup...lol...done that and still do...but I don't find myself behaving in like manner in other areas of my life...perhaps thankfully the fish and tank are the outlet for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store