So next if I build a stand...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
Oh...I know what else I was wondering about, what type of wood should I get? I would love Oak or Cedar...but I believe that is pretty pricey, what is a good but not way expensive wood for this?

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
AWESOME! Thanks, I was looking for simple but good and that is pretty much what I had in mind. Doesn't seem to difficult to put together.

baggage

baggage
Feb 28, 2008
calgary ab. canada
for the frame i would use treated wood look for paint grade maple ply for exterior usually cheaper and can be stained u can also get matching moldings

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
So, I would just tell them I need "treated wood"?

baggage

baggage
Feb 28, 2008
calgary ab. canada
yes this is generally green although some places will have brown it is rare though usually limited to general contractors that hand pic there materials

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
Ok then...thank you for your help!!!!!!!!

Once I get the posts, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions before I actually start!

Oh, something else I thought of...as for the glue, would the gorilla wood glue work, cause I already have some of that.

baggage

baggage
Feb 28, 2008
calgary ab. canada
yes it is fine for frame if you use on exteior be sure to wipe excess off with wet rag because wood will not accept stain with glue on it hope this helps i will check back to see progress and help if possible is this for the tank you fixed and resiliconed?

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
That stand is going to weight a ton! 4x4s aren't needed all the way around.Maybe if it were a much bigger tank like in the hundreds of gallons.

I built mine with 2x4s and its solid, has a bottom shelf that sits a couple of inches off the floor and the studs are 16 inches on center so when/if i ever finish them I'll have 3 cabinets. The only part that is 4x4 are the corner studs.

The base could be considered 4x4 but its actually 2x4 then a sheet of plywood for the shelf then another 2x4 base.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I agree with Ogre....yeas that stand will hold the tank up, but holy overkill...and it will weigh a ton.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store