I've joined the dark side. Soon to be manager of the Petland Lancaster fish dep.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

xDetroitMetalx

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
Moro, OR
Hurray for not being fired and being a real manager!

Since I've been working at a LFS I've knowingly sold fish to there death. Don't get me wrong, I try to teach them and lean them in a different direction but they don't care. There are customers who come in and will leave with a fish no matter what! They just want to learn the hard way. There is also the customer that will strait up lie to me to get what they want.

The thing is you can only prod at them so much before they just don't go to you or the store again because they know that they will be put in fishie store court. I just say, "Hey, that fish will kill/be killed maybe you should get (insert fish here or leave your stock)." Customer replies, "No, I've done this before, I want this fish." Then I sell them the fish. If the customer doesn't want to listen to me fine, he can learn the hard way as so many of us have... Atleast I know I tried.

SpockthePuffer

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hurray for not being fired and being a real manager!

Since I've been working at a LFS I've knowingly sold fish to there death. Don't get me wrong, I try to teach them and lean them in a different direction but they don't care. There are customers who come in and will leave with a fish no matter what! They just want to learn the hard way. There is also the customer that will strait up lie to me to get what they want.

The thing is you can only prod at them so much before they just don't go to you or the store again because they know that they will be put in fishie store court. I just say, "Hey, that fish will kill/be killed maybe you should get (insert fish here or leave your stock)." Customer replies, "No, I've done this before, I want this fish." Then I sell them the fish. If the customer doesn't want to listen to me fine, he can learn the hard way as so many of us have... Atleast I know I tried.
This is the one reason I know I couldn't work at a LFS. I flip out just watching people buy fish when I'm in there. I see people looking at goldfish so I'll drag my boyfriend over and then say "Wow look at these beautiful goldfish, too bad they grow to a foot long and they can't go into small bowls/tanks..." Then the person will usually glare at me.

Smurf, I really like this thread, its very interesting, keep us updated and goodluck! :D

emptywallet

another youngling who is clueless
Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David

00Smurf

The Fish Guy
Apr 15, 2008
Canal Winchester, Ohio
lol not wanting to be mean or anything is that your hand writing:headshake2:
Yes its mine, i would have been better off as a doctor. lol I know teachers hated getting my work in school. I was of the mentality that as long as i could read it , i was okay. Oh and i hated writing class, loved reading but hated to write.

PopPopsfish

AC Members
Mar 17, 2008
PA
Nice,

We will come up to check out your Dept. at the end of the month. If you need Angels let me know and we can work something out.
You are running a Business not a charity you must make a profit while pricing has to be competitive. Remember give the customer what they want and do your best to educate them on the care of their purchases. The word SALE will attract customers SUPER SALE will attract more. Run weekly specials you will make more in the long run if you can buy in volume, ask the customer what they want and deliver it at a competitive price.
Change in your environment will also keep the customers coming back along with a big smile and armed with knowledge of this hobby you will succeed .

Remember Think Outside The BOX.
Your responsible for making your company a profit, so sell , sell ,sell and yes give them a goldfish bowl if they want one, just make them aware that you wouldn't recommend it.

Best Wishes,
Pops/Pa

PS. see you soon

PopPopsfish

AC Members
Mar 17, 2008
PA
Here is something I found on the Net.

Store name:
PetLand
Address:
6520 Carlisle Pike

Telephone:

Comments:
PetLand is a chain, but it is a franchise which means the manager is also the owner. It shows in the fish selection at this nice little store. Their inventory of supplies and equipment is moderate and a little pricey. Their freshwater fish selection, though, is very impressive for such a small store. They often have large and unusal species in addition to the usual community tank ones. Today, for instance, they have at least one large oscar, jaguar, sevrum, red terror, red devil, arowana, dempsey, and snakehead. Everything is in good health other than the ocasional battle wound. All in all, I've found this store to be the best source for fish in the Harrisburg area.

Is this your location?

jac8724

AC Members
Dec 1, 2006
Chicago
Just read the whole thread now- good job! Now if someone like you can work at the petco in downtown chicago id be a happy girl. I dont think a single person there even likes fish. Keep the pictures coming!

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you, but you are still running full speed ahead. It's lookin good! The only thing I can say besides "G'luck" is watch yourself so you don't get burned out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store