Nymphaea bulbs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cichlidgirl91

AC Members
Feb 8, 2008
Tobaccoville, NC
I just bought 2 plant bulbs from Walmart and was just wondering if anyone has had much success with these things. I picked the healthiest looking ones and the instructions say to just throw them in the tank and they'll "attach" themselves after they start growing.:help:
Do I just follow the instructions?

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
I usually bury most of the bulb, and they grow like mad for me.

Cichlidgirl91

AC Members
Feb 8, 2008
Tobaccoville, NC
Well, I squeezed them today and they both feel a little hollow. Is this normal? When I tried bulbs before, they rotted, so I'm hoping it doesn't happen again. Oh, and do they really take a month to start growing roots?

br553

AC Members
Sep 27, 2006
If the bulbs feel hollow or "squishy", then most likely they have started to rot. On the other hand, one of my lily bulbs took over 4 months before it started to grow about 3 weeks ago. Now it has 3 or 4 small submerged leaves and a couple of floaters on the surface.

Cichlidgirl91

AC Members
Feb 8, 2008
Tobaccoville, NC
Well, I have one bulb left and, although it's not squishy and it doesn't stink, it's not sprouting. Do they really take this long? Any way to make it sprout soon?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store