RIP little shrimpies - a mail order tale

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
It might not be the duration of the shipment that causes the most problems when heat packs don't work quite right. It's the first 12-24 hours or so after they've been activated. Sometimes it flares up way too hot, too fast.. and then it cools down again to a more moderate warm temp level. All you can do is use extra insulation between the heat pack and the livestock inside (but still not too much) and hope for the best.

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
Hmmm, some of the foam packing did seem melted. The heat pack was on top, with a layer of packing peanuts beneath it, and then the shrimp were on bottom. There were a dozen.

Sounguru

Guru at being an expert
Packing peanuts is usually not enough to insulate it that is why I always wrap my heat packs in newspaper place them on the bottom with another layer of shreded or crumbled newspaper then the bag cradled in shreded paper.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Oh that's terrible :(
That makes me nervous because I'm hoping to order some shrimp online in a month or so. I've never ordered any kind of live creatures online before and I'm really nervous about something like this happening. I hope you can get some sort of refund or something.

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
I agree that they do have a "cooked" appearance. So sorry for your loss.

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
The seller has been wonderful. She instantly refunded the entire cost of the purchase, which included snails and plants. I'm actually hoping she'll accept some of that back.

I've been told that shrimp ship very well. This seems like some sort of freak accident, or else poor handling by the postal service.

deeleywoman

All men are equal before fish.
Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
postal service gets my bet. i'm so sorry, hun. :(

bettabrat

AC Members
Feb 2, 2009
CT
Freak accident indeed! Although I wouldn't be the first to complain about how poorly the USPS treats things. A word to the wise they will offer to sell you insurance but won't back up their claim later on down the road...at least when it comes to live animals, nice huh? I am glad to hear you were refunded, it should all work out in the end. Hopefully this doesn't discourage you from shrimp keeping.

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
spambot?

I definitly love the shrimpies. The only problem is I live in a shrimp desert. The only place I can find live fish around here is walmart, petsmart and jack's aquarium. All three pretty much cater only to what is most popular. I have ghost shrimp, which are neat, but I want cherries and I want 'em bad! Nobody sells them though. Jacks had them for a short time, but they were $5 a piece. Now they don't even carry them.

I was afraid to do live shipping, mostly for this very reason. I guess I'll let my tank settle in some and then do a reorder in a few weeks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store