Ongoing battle with rescued Discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
hey what's the latest? what an experience! I would say you have done more indepth research analysis medication experimentation autopsy than anyone I would or could have in the aquaria world. talk about dedication & love for the hobby. I wish you had better luck & not had to have suffer thru all these trials & tribulations. but, tho very informative & hope many can learn some lessons here from all the feedback, I truly hope yours was just an abnormal experience of infestation & disease ridden cases of bad timing. after reading your logs I am so discouraged & truthfully scared to start up discus raising again (over 25 yrs ago was when I last had them - back then 3" were only $10-15!!). it is a very expensive hobby, discus that is - but someday I will start again. best to you! I am truly in awe on how you tackled your problems!!
Hey sushiray, sorry for the late reply, hope you see this update!

So far, these guys have gone through a more aggressive treatment of Metro since I've last updated. They're once again eating like pigs, and I'll have pictures to prove in just a bit. I've had to isolate the smallest of the 9, we call him Hobbes. He went off on food for quite some time before we pulled him from the main tank. It was a horrible reminder of what happened to the one that we lost, and eventually disected. He was getting skinnier by the day, and would do nothing but stare at the back of the tank. Forehead was getting ravor thin, and starting to show indentation between the eyes. He was extremely weak, and I didn't think he would make it. He was the first to take on a water-treatment of Metro, full dosage at 40mg per gallon. After the 3rd dose, he was up and nibbling at food, when no one was around. Over the next few weeks, he regained strength, and began to eat in public, and is now officially "pig" status when it comes to feeding time! He has joined back with the rest of the guys as of two-three weeks ago.

While Hobbes was recovering, the other 8 wasn't on vacation either, they were also hit after seeing results from Hobbes treatment. The main tank took a full treatment of Metro via water as well. My treatment was 1 dose per day, 40mg per gallon for ~10 days. I decided to up the dosage for the last day to 3 doses, one every 8 hrs. During treatment, lights were off, and temp remained at normal, 86F.

Hopefully, I've got the Hex under control, and I'll monitor for worms, as they are much less agressive.

Without further ado, here's some updated pictures.

Here is the largest of my Discus, he's the boss.

IMG_0196.JPG

This one's probably the prettiest of them, she's the second in command. Can you guess what pictures will follow?

IMG_0353.JPG

Right under the second in command, is the third. He's always been the smart one, only coming out for food, and bothered no one, until he gained some size...

IMG_0358.JPG

Here's another picture of #2...(no pun intended)

IMG_0359.JPG

Oh my! That's as thick as she is!

IMG_0360.JPG

Here, she's doing the "shake"

IMG_0361.JPG

And again...

IMG_0364.JPG

The "drop". Here, you can see Hobbes sizing up the drop.

IMG_0367.JPG

The "drop" zoomed in

IMG_0368.JPG

Proud momma and her dropping

IMG_0369.JPG

I do believe that I have may have the world's largest, thickest Discus poo, ever! I dare anyone to compete!

And if that's not bad enough, I may also hold the longest poo in Discus history also, on picture at least!

IMG00125-20090506-2347.jpg

So to wrap it up until the next update, don't be discouraged. There's plenty of documentation on the net, and plenty of very generous people on these forums willing to help, I've been blessed with much help from members here, much gratatude is owed to them all.

Shawn

IMG_0196.JPG IMG_0353.JPG IMG_0358.JPG IMG_0359.JPG IMG_0360.JPG IMG_0361.JPG IMG_0364.JPG IMG_0367.JPG IMG_0368.JPG IMG_0369.JPG IMG00125-20090506-2347.jpg

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Awesome job!!!! Incredible!!!!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Great work Shawn! And we can always spot a dedicated proud owner when they start measuring and proudly talking about poo! LOL! Good to hear from ya!

bs6749

AC Members
Aug 24, 2008
The recommended temperature for treating with metronidazole is 92-94 degrees. Metro is most effective at those temps. I would bump up the temp of the tank for 7-10 days and do another metro treatment.

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
The recommended temperature for treating with metronidazole is 92-94 degrees. Metro is most effective at those temps. I would bump up the temp of the tank for 7-10 days and do another metro treatment.
You're probably also aware that Metro at higher temps are ineffective as the 1/2 life of the med is expended too quick. My treatment is based on research that supports effective results. Raising the temp could also increase the chances of bacterial infection as the Hex dies off inside the fish, causing yet another problem, requiring more meds. My treatment was not an aggressive one, so I found it no need for changing the temp.

Thanks to everyone else for the support, it's much appreciated, and makes it all well worth the while. They'll be getting a few rounds of Epsom to clear their "systems" and onwards they go for very nutritious meals.

Shawn

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store