why Ich now?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
What plants do you have?
I have never had Ich in this tank and I have added nothing new except for the eco complete......:huh:
I have vals, dwarf sags, java ferns & willow leaf hygro.....I may try the Ich Attack treatment before going the salt route, since it did such a number on my plants in my other tank.........

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I have heard that Ich cysts could possibly be dormant until the right conditions present itself, and hatch.
This needs to be debunked. As I see it, the ich has been residing inside the gill tissues and waiting for the immune system to take a steep dive before appearing as an outbreak.

Noodles, when was the last time you bought new plants?

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
Last time I bought plants was in February from another member......perhaps the molly has been carrying it until the Angel stressed him enough to kick it up a notch, as you said Lupin.......but regardless I have to treat the whole tank now as one of the black neons has a couple of spots too! Ugh!!!!!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Last time I bought plants was in March from another member......perhaps the molly has been carrying it until the Angel stressed him enough to kick it up a notch, as you said Lupin.......but regardless I have to treat the whole tank now as one of the black neons has a couple of spots too! Ugh!!!!!
It does seem not worth the trouble to have ich around undetected and is a PITA to get rid of even though it is curable.:duh:

In my experience, the plants such as cabombas, ambulia and lotus were fine with salt treatment. If you are worried, go with Melody Doucet's option.

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
Is it possible to remove the plants and treat the tank?
That would be a PITA; it is a 45 gallon which is pretty tall and it took me 2 hours to plant in when we moved, I cant imagine doing it again. :headshake2:
Going to petsmart tomorrow for Prime and will look for Ick attack. I really did not like the salt treatment when I did it on my guppies in my 20....besides the salt would kill all my snails and it would be really difficult to remove them. tonite I saw about 25 baby ramshorns and a bunch of MTS feeding on a shrimp pellets....just cant bring my self to hurt the snails....

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
It would be, as you put it "PITA" and almost impossible, I would think, to try to gather all the snails and I would not want to hurt them either!! I don't have any invertabrates in my tanks, so I had no idea that salt would hurt them :confused:. Looks like you'll have to go the chemical route but I would still be careful with the type you use as they may be harmful to snails and plants, as well. Good luck...LeeAnn...

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
Well, I was not able to find Kordon Ich Attack anywhere around here, so I wound up buying API Super Ich Cure. It is a powder, but I will only use helf dose as that is the recommendation if you have scaleless fish. My catfish are my babies, so wish me luck....I start treatment today.

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
I have had good results with API products in the past. Just follow the directions they provide and I'm sure your cats will be fine :). If you think there might be a problem...I would just do a 50% water change and immediately replace new carbon. Good Luck...I'm sure everything will work out perfectly and your fish will be ich free.:dance:
Good Luck and keep us posted on how you're making out...

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
It would be, as you put it "PITA" and almost impossible, I would think, to try to gather all the snails and I would not want to hurt them either!! I don't have any invertabrates in my tanks, so I had no idea that salt would hurt them :confused:. Looks like you'll have to go the chemical route but I would still be careful with the type you use as they may be harmful to snails and plants, as well. Good luck...LeeAnn...
The invertebrates will not contract ich so it is safe to remove them out of the tank. Even though salt will not hurt the snails when you dissolve it, it would be safer to remove the snails out of the tank. Though the trophonts might end up trapped inside the shells of the snails, the snails will not be affected by it at all. By 48-72 hours, the trophonts eventually die due to lack of hosts (assuming the snails are placed in a fish-free environment).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store