how many female bettas in a planted 10 gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lightning Bug

My fish talk to me
Nov 4, 2009
im debating about turning my 10 gallon into a betta sorority. if i go that route how many should i put in there?

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I don't think more than 1... unless it's VERY heavily planted. Female bettas can be as agressive as the males.

WandaA

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
DE
I have 6. They get along fine as long as you have lots of places for them to seperate.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
I would say 1. Like JB said, females can be just as agressive as males.

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
6+
You just have to give them a couple of weeks to nip each other. Keep the water as clean as possible to let their fins heal because they will nip to establish a pecking order.
Female bettas will most likely not be too agressive unless they have been housed alone since birth

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
I've got 5 in a 10 gallon tank planted tank right now. When I first added them in together they ripped into each other pretty good. All of their fins were really beat up but once they figured out their pecking order they get along great. I'm currently looking for a 70-80 corner pentagon tank to plant and put 20 or so of them into.

Beta's fins heal up amazingly fast. Damage that on other species might take several months to heal, I've seen heal up in a week or two.

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
Some say lots some say single. It just depends on the bettas, just like when you house males with other fish IMO. Years ago I had 2 females with a few guppies in a 2 gallon tank. Now that I know more about fish I would NEVER recommend that. I am just mentioning it to say that no one picked on anyone in that tank.

I would say that if you decide to get around 5ish, get them all at the same time and be prepared to make changes to the set up if need be.

Michwol42795

CanTANKerous
Dec 28, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
Some say lots some say single. It just depends on the bettas, just like when you house males with other fish IMO. Years ago I had 2 females with a few guppies in a 2 gallon tank. Now that I know more about fish I would NEVER recommend that. I am just mentioning it to say that no one picked on anyone in that tank.

I would say that if you decide to get around 5ish, get them all at the same time and be prepared to make changes to the set up if need be.
I agree, Bettas have a wide range of personalities. You could try it but be ready with an extra tank to separate them or be prepared to take them back.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store