Suggestions for my Urban Grunge, Pollution, Industrial Waste Aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
What about glofish? The green ones would look 'radioactive'. MsJinkzd idea of train set parts is a good one. It would make the fish look huge by comparison. If you could find a little toy nuclear power plant to sink in there, it would be hilarious.

USMC2171

AC Members
Feb 14, 2009
Camp Lejeune, NC
What about going to a hobby shop for models and what nots, like a engine block or bumpers, or the whole model car, LOL. good luck and enjoy looking forward to seeing pics.

gt1009

AC Members
Jan 8, 2009
Maybe use some blackwater extract or uncured driftwood to make the water brownish.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
For materials--shoes, stoves, ladders, cell phones, just about any object imagineable, I have one word for you son: Barbie. Actually kid toys of any sort. What's even better is that you want them already broken! since broken things which are hard/expensive to dispose of properly tend to be the objects thrown into waterways. Stolen items or stuff used in crime is also tossed into rivers: Tools. Guns, if you want to be really creepy--boys dolls, oops I mean "action figures" are good for these. A couple of piles of unidentifiable matter can be freehanded out of play-doh for that added post-industrial vibe.

I bet if you ask around people with kids or younger siblings, or daycare centers, or yard sales, you could cover the bottom of a tank 10 times the size. Junk Substrate! :)

For fish you want "ugly." Dull. Icky. Female guppies. Baby goldfish before they've gotten their colors: they look like carp. Catfish and other bottom feeders. A pleco if you can find one small enough. Again these should be anywhere from cheap to free if you seek out culls. A couple-three ghost shrimp would add atmosphere but not much color, which is what you want. Of course you have to figure out what to do with them after the art project is over with but you knew that already.

Definitely looking forward to pictures. Is this for a class, or a contest, or your own personal artistic expression? Very cool idea in any case.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
one really ugly hybrid cichlid, that'd be perfect for that tank, depending on tank size.

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
You can use plastic thread spools , trim down the ends and make them look like soda cans, waste barrels, etc. You may have to weight them though. Get some bits of cellophane, crumple them up and sink them so that part of them pokes out of the substrate. You could also cast some bits of candy wrappers (use the mini ones) in aquarium safe epoxy and then sink them. Rusty looking metal is always a nice "grungy" look, coat it in epoxy first as well.

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
some really great ideas...love the sunken tire and train pieces ideas...they would really fit the decor

You should have a bunch of old fishing line...barrels with toxic waste symbols (love that idea too)

anything to replicate a soda can and the 6 pack plastic would be amazing also

as for fish...any flowerhorn species

That tumor look to their heads will put the cherry on top...maybe some bubbly goldies too...they can get quite deformed looking

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store