FREE TB exposed fish - NC - shipping

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
Ok, I know this is kind of wishful thinking, most people don't have the resources or inclination to take on fish that have could be sick and have to be treated as health hazards to any other tanks for their entire lives. But I really hate to have to euthanize them when they seem perfectly fine and may have immunity to mycobacteria.

These fish have shared tanks with fish that've had a definite diagnosis of fish tb, and should not at any point in their lives be added to a tank with other fish than the ones coming from these tanks. Another thing to note is that there are different strains so if you have a fish that's already shown immunity to one, it may not be immune to another.

If you decide to adopt, I strongly suggest that you wear gloves during maintenance and disinfect any spills, and also remember not to cross-contaminate other tanks.

I can include plants, food, and some smaller equipment if needed (heaters, nets)- and if you want to cover shipping on them I can send filters of various sizes.
Depending on how many fish are adopted I may be able to cover the shipping, or part of it.

Now on to the fish themselves... None of the bottom dwellers show any sign of disease (although they are likely carriers)

The 11" pleco (named Big Fishy by my niece):

He's my top priority, I'll definitely cover the express mail shipping costs if anyone can take him.

The dojos, Skinny Boy, Big Girl, and Little Girl (yeah, real imaginative names. lol):

The Kuhlis (there's 7, but they all look alike and are never out all at once):

My one remaining cory:

The goldfish - Bunkin (roughly 3" calico fantail) and Kizzy (2" ranchu). Both are spending a little more time sitting around than they used to, but still seem fairly active and eating like pigs:

Edit: in case anyone's wondering, I'm not just dumping them off because I don't want to take care of them. I live with my parents (one of whom has an autoimmune disease) and have a big pile of very young nieces and nephews (and a somewhat older one with autism) coming in and out of the house that are fascinated by my tanks and keep wanting to let the fishies bite their fingers. I don't have the means to set the tanks up out of reach.

Last edited:

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
Looks like I can cover the shipping for everyone. Someone on another forum has offered to sponsor shipping for one package to someone that has to resources to care for some of these guys. :)

Ryi

Shrimp fear me
Feb 10, 2009
Sunny Florida
Best of luck to you. Have you looked into Kanaplex? Pretty reasonable in price but I have no idea what the regimen is. Wish you could keep them, they look well-loved and cared-for.

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
Thanks. From what I've read treatment with kanamycin takes anywhere from 30 days to 3 months (plus doesn't often work), and my parents want the fish out of here much sooner than that.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Re-homing fish with the possibility of being a carrier for a highly contagious disease is not very responsible. Smarter action would be to euthanize or for you to treat. You risk spreading a disease and turning a minor outbreak into a major health concern. Sometimes the hardest and most drastic action is the correct one. It sucks but is sometimes necessary.

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
Re-homing fish with the possibility of being a carrier for a highly contagious disease is not very responsible. Smarter action would be to euthanize or for you to treat. You risk spreading a disease and turning a minor outbreak into a major health concern. Sometimes the hardest and most drastic action is the correct one. It sucks but is sometimes necessary.
I just figured if I already know one person that already is dealing with fish with TB and doesn't mind taking on more, there might be other folks out there that are the same. I had originally planned on euthanizing all of them until that one person was so adamant on me finding homes (She's taking the goldfish and dojo loaches as well as the remaining bettas, and has handled tb cases for several years without contaminating unaffected fish).

Man, there's just no universal "right way" to deal with this. I don't want to spread disease, but I've just been treated like a monster elsewhere for mentioning euthanasia for fish that aren't visibly ill even with definite exposure to tb.

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I don't feel anyone is a monster for putting TB contaminated fish down, and I commend you for trying to find them homes. Though, I worry about how they will take shipping.

froglover007

Obsessed 13-year-old
Apr 15, 2009
Alberta
I saw your other thread about TB. Sucks that it got into your tanks. It is my worst nightmare as a fish keeper. I would take some but dont have any space for isolation.
Best of luck.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
. . . .
Man, there's just no universal "right way" to deal with this. I don't want to spread disease, but I've just been treated like a monster elsewhere for mentioning euthanasia for fish that aren't visibly ill even with definite exposure to tb.
I would hardly consider you to be a monster for taking action that might be the most prudent.

For someone to suggest otherwise is a bit short-sighted. If you recall the avian flu outbreak and the mad cow diseases that occurred, oftentimes the possible innocent and healthy were also euthanized to stop the spread. It was neither pleasant or cruel but it did just what was hoped - it stopped the immediate spread.

With fish TB being able to spread to humans isn't being cautious worth more? Good luck.

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
I still don't believe that fish TB is much of a threat to humans unless you cut your hand in the tank and then don't wash it. Most people don't do that.
Even if you do get it, antibiotics will take care of it. Not like it kills people (that I know of).
I doubt anyone else will be able to take them, but good luck to you.

I grew up with tons of turtles, snakes, and other reptiles and amphibians. The risk for a small child getting salmonela is much greater than getting fish TB. yet, we never had any problems in my house because we learned to wash our hands properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store