~ZAP~.........oh my

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
anyone have a defective heater before?
I think I will be returning this one..... :hypnotized::22_yikes:

Stealth Heater 001.jpg Stealth Heater 002.jpg Stealth Heater 003.jpg Stealth Heater 010.jpg Stealth Heater 011.jpg

roscoe70

AC Members
Apr 5, 2009
East Texas
Stealth is not having a very good run here at AC. Continue to question the wisdom of running mine and not replacing it. How long in use and what if anything was going on when it busted? Good luck.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Holy smokes!!! How old is it?
That is terrible! Did you lose any fish?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Did it split open while still under water or did it get exposed to air? Just curious.
I agree the Stealths are gaining a terrible track record here as of late. I'm still running the old Stealths in all my tanks and this could be one more reason to go ahead and replace them all with better heaters.

mott

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
Mine did the same thing but did not split, just bubbled. The reason mine melted is it was left on during a WC,
I was lead to believe you don't have to turn it off during a WC.
I would bet that's what happened here.

kianna

Keep on swimming
Sep 15, 2008
Lakewood, WA
Mine did the same thing but did not split, just bubbled. The reason mine melted is it was left on during a WC,
I was lead to believe you don't have to turn it off during a WC.
I would bet that's what happened here.
I had just changed several of mine over to Stealth for this very reason (not having to unplug it during a WC. Since reading/hearing about all the DOA I've started unplugging mine and am seriously thinking about returning them.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
that thing definitely had an issue while it was in the water... look at all the corrosion. have you had unexplained fish deaths lately? i would think there was most likely some electrical discharge at some point.

i tell you what... i'm glad i buy cheap equipment lately. i'm definitely a minority on these forums, but i also haven't spent a boat load of cash on failing equipment because of a name... and all my cheap crap still works... well. i think that's something our die-hard brand name followers should think about a little more.

from my experience the little guys (companies just starting out or making a name for themselves) are forced to produce better products to keep up with the big guys. complacency and mass production that comes with already having a big name often times is the demise of well known names. it happens in every industry. there are exceptions to the rule... but not forever.

eheim in particular seems to be on a downward spiral. we've had complaints about their heaters, their filters and their customer support. what i find funny is that so many filters have been bought and the clamps break and nobody seems to care. i understand being complacent with the engineering in certain aspects but a well engineered product just simply does not break at a critical point right out of the box.

needless to say, anybody can preach eheim to me all day long but it will be falling on deaf ears to say the least... tooooooo, toooooo many issues as of late.

i fear aquaclear filters may be going down the same road as i've seen the beginnings of their demise spring up lately too. with so many people who swear by them one can only hope the incidents will continue to be isolated ones or cease altogether. for me, i'll be waiting it out to see what transpires of that before considering one personally. my whisper 30-60 on the other hand is doing quite fine and i have 48 extra impellers just in case (12 for every size whisper hob available).

anyway, sorry to hear about your heater mishap. hopefully somebody can suggest something good as a replacement... or the manufacturer stands behind their product and does the right thing. sorry for the rant too. this is just getting my goat at this point... these companies make money hand over foot and seem to be preying on their followers lately.

better luck with the next one.

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
Thanks for the replies everyone..........I have had some mysterious fish deaths lately but I thought that that was just one of those things?! :huh: How I came about it was one day I noticed that my aquaclear heater seemed to be on all the time which it never used to be. I closely looked at the stealth and noticed that there was no heat coming off of it (you can usually see "heat waves" coming from the heater. I reached in to pick it up, took it out of the water and ZAP!! I dropped the heater and when I went to look at it again, noticed the splits it the casing, I turned off all the power bars until I unplugged it. I didn't know this was even possible. The heater is approx. 5 years old but in my opinion (especially being a submersible heater) this should NEVER happen. I'm quite disgusted, especially getting zapped, it could of been a lot worse.
I'm trying to get a free heater out of the deal but not a Stealth.

I'll keep you updated. :shocked::irked:

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
Did it split open while still under water or did it get exposed to air? Just curious.
I agree the Stealths are gaining a terrible track record here as of late. I'm still running the old Stealths in all my tanks and this could be one more reason to go ahead and replace them all with better heaters.

NO, when I do a 40% WC, the stealth is still under water. I can't ever remember even having it out of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store