Good price?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Is $75 for an Esclipe 3 (40 gallon) WITH light and filter included a good price? Should I go for it? It'll be delivered too. I think he said it was in good condition. Lights and filter work.

I know the benefits and negatives of glass vs. acrylic but I'm looking forward to the lightness of acrylic instead of glass since it may have to be put on my night stand.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
if this is the one your talking about: http://www.aquabuys.com/p/sc_40g_t_e3_cl.html

looks nice depends if you think its worth 75.00 and delivered. i would say yes its a ok deal maybe you can get him down to 60.00 i have several marineland eclipse hoods size 2 and 3's they are nice and all in one units and are expensive.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Well, I got him down to $50 and was all happy but got home and measured it and it's a 29 gallon... Not a 40 gallon. B4 you call me an idiot, I'm really, really, tired and didn't notice that it seemed smaller than it should.

This really sucks, you just can't trust anybody. I'm out $50 for something I didn't need or want.

The good news is I probably get a free 40 gallon if the place I volunteer at has any.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
those hoods alone sell for 100.00 or more so you didnt do so bad getting the set up for 50.00
i have seen those hoods w/ no tank included sell for over 50.00 used on ebay several times.

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
I know the benefits and negatives of glass vs. acrylic but I'm looking forward to the lightness of acrylic instead of glass since it may have to be put on my night stand.
The weight of the water is WAY more of a factor than the weight of the tank itself. 40 gallons @ 8 lbs/gallon is 240lbs.

$50 for the 29 doesn't sound like too bad of a deal, but, like you said, you were expecting the 40...

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
That's pretty crappy that you didn't get what you want... but I still think you got a deal :)

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
You guys are right. I'm just going to sell it. I'll make more than the $50 I paid for it, hopefully.

This is one of the worst Craigslist transactions I've ever had. I don't like to call people stupid but Jeez... Trying to get through to this guy is like pulling teeth! Or am I overreacting?

Me: Ok.. I just got home and measured the tank. It's 29 gallons.

Him: no its not

Me: But it is. I measured it, 30 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 18 3/4 and entered the
dimensions into a few aquarium calculators and all of them said 29
gallons. I can send you pictures of the tank with a tape measure next
to it.

I don't have a lot of money and didn't need another 29 gallon tank. I
already have one. I really didn't need to buy another tank when I can
get them for free but I did because you said you really needed the
money. I also didn't have to give you a filter but I did just to be
nice. This is really uncool that you ripped me off.

Him: the filter dont even work

Me: The one I gave you? It worked the last time I used it. I can give you
another one that I'll test before bringing.

Him: im trying to use it but its not pouring over

Me: Do you want a different one?

Him: i guess

Me: Can I return the aquarium for my money back?

Him: why do you want to return it ?

Me (taking a deep breath before replying): Because I already have a 29 gallon aquarium. I don't need another.

Him (after a while): umm you know the filter you gave me didnt work and my fish have died because of no oxygen while i was gone. So what are you going to do about that

Me (finally had it): If I had known it didn't work, I wouldn't have given it to you. I did
ask you if you wanted one that works when I found out that you can't
get it to work and you just said that you guess and never said
anything more on the subject. If it didn't work, why didn't you
arrange to meet with me to pick up a working one when I offered it??
Are you trying to suggest that it's my fault that your fish died and I
owe you replacement fish? You've got to be ****** me. YOU'RE the one
who left them in unlivable conditions.

And you're the one who lied about the aquarium size. If you say you're
selling a 40 gallon, then sell a 40 gallon, not a 29 gallon.

I'm pretty tired of dealing with you. I don't know if you simply
aren't capable of understanding clear and concise English or if you're
just not bothering to pay attention but I'm done repeating myself and
trying to communicate with you.

I'll just sell the 29 gallon that I DON'T want or need for much more
than the $50 you sold it to me for. You actually did me a favor.

Last edited by a moderator:

EOD

AC Members
Sep 12, 2010
Schofield Barracks, HI
Real Name
David
Some people's kids

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Yup, we all have to make mistakes to truly learn a lesson. Iv had my share and still have to make mistakes over things I already learned just because I let it slide and did not check one of the boxes on my list. I bet it will be a long time before you buy a used tank without measuring it first. But after 5 or 10 years youll forget again and make an excuse lol.

Calm down and consider it a valuable lesson, then laugh at yourself real hard and move on.:grinno:

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
so far it sounds as if this guy has lied to you at least twice. once about the tank and once about the pump... oops... and once about his fish. craigslist seems to be a safe place for folks like this to do their business. as it were, i would not be corresponding, let alone offering anything to this guy. i say move on and be happy you didn't give him yet one more chance to rip you off... because it seems that's what he's looking for... freebies under dishonorable circumstances.

i'm glad you got a couple things you can profit from considering the circumstances. now it's time to capitalize on that and forget about "making things right" for a scam artist.

good luck, micha. hopefully you turn enough coin on this deal to get the 40 you wanted and a replacement pump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store